Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone ever use d'addario half rounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Jun 26, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    what did you think. i ordered some just to give it a shot. best of both worlds? or complete chud?

2. I use Half Rounds on my fretless, and they really make it sing! These are the older stainless steel strings. I put the newer pure nickle set on my Dirnt P Bass, and they sounded great for about a month, then went completely dead. The steel set has about two years on them, and are as lively and punchy as ever.

These strings weren't what I expected when I first got them. They pretty much felt like a round wound, only slightly less rough, and the tension is rather tight, tighter than your average roundwound, but not as tight as your average flatwound. When you first put them on, they are very sticky, but seem to smooth out after a couple of days. They have the round wound tone, but the increased tension seems to give them a deeper fundamental.

Many of the people here who use them seem to prefer the nickles, but I actually prefer the stainless steels. I wish they would sell both types, but I suppose the market dictates the product.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    awsome. ive been using rounds for a long time. so i ordered the halfs and some flats and im very excited to see how they sound. i like a little flop in my strings, will i be able to get that with the strings? how do they sound when playing with a plec? tapping? slap?

thanks agian.