Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ANYONE EVER USE - EMG-35P4's? (Active "P" pup in a Humbucker Housing.)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowFreakuency, Apr 11, 2005.

1. LowFreakuency

LowFreakuency

Feb 1, 2005
    I was wondering how these pu's sounded. I have EMG CS pups in my Euro Dean Improv 4. They sound good but I would love to be able to capture that classic "P" tone. Any opinions?

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    This pickup is nice BUT Classic P tone it is not. It has more bite. What preamp were you planning on using?

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Comparing it to a P pickup, despite it's name, really isn't fair. It's an EMG humbucker first, and a "Classic P" about, oh, 5th in a field of 7. It's about as close to a classic P sound as a J pickup.

I've got one in my hotrodded Ibanez, but I haven't changed the strings on that thing in about 4 years, maybe 5, so tone comparisons to any "living" bass is probably irrelevant.

4. LowFreakuency

LowFreakuency

Feb 1, 2005
    My Improv 4 came stock with 2 EMG CS pups & an EMG BTS preamp. If the EMG 35P4 doesn't really capture the classic "P" sound do you know if there is any Active pup (That comes in a humbucker housing) that will come close?

5. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Only thing I can think of is a Bartolini M3 series (EMG35 shape) pickups. They might give you more of what you're looking for. Thing is, a really classic P tone is gonna come from passive pickups more easily than Active versions.

-Eric.