1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ANYONE EVER USE - EMG-35P4's? (Active "P" pup in a Humbucker Housing.)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowFreakuency, Apr 11, 2005.

1. LowFreakuency

LowFreakuency

Feb 1, 2005
    I was wondering how these pu's sounded. I have EMG CS pups in my Euro Dean Improv 4. They sound good but I would love to be able to capture that classic "P" tone. Any opinions?

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    This pickup is nice BUT Classic P tone it is not. It has more bite. What preamp were you planning on using?

3. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Comparing it to a P pickup, despite it's name, really isn't fair. It's an EMG humbucker first, and a "Classic P" about, oh, 5th in a field of 7. It's about as close to a classic P sound as a J pickup.

I've got one in my hotrodded Ibanez, but I haven't changed the strings on that thing in about 4 years, maybe 5, so tone comparisons to any "living" bass is probably irrelevant.

4. LowFreakuency

LowFreakuency

Feb 1, 2005
    My Improv 4 came stock with 2 EMG CS pups & an EMG BTS preamp. If the EMG 35P4 doesn't really capture the classic "P" sound do you know if there is any Active pup (That comes in a humbucker housing) that will come close?

5. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Only thing I can think of is a Bartolini M3 series (EMG35 shape) pickups. They might give you more of what you're looking for. Thing is, a really classic P tone is gonna come from passive pickups more easily than Active versions.

-Eric.