Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone Ever Use...or Even SEE...an Ampeg SVT-215E?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bongolation, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    One of these things.

Seems like it'd be a perfect match for an SVT-350H/B-2R, but I've never even seen one, and the store flunkies look at me like I'm crazy when I ask about it.

Experience? Sightings?

Thanks for any help...

2. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    I've been trying to see one of these for a long time too. All the stores around me just keep up with the people who like their compact high tech 10" rigs.

The only 215 cab I've ever seen was a Peavy, and it wasn't near as nice as the Ampegs look.

Sorry I couldn't have helped you though.

3. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i saw a band where the bassplayer used one. he sounded alright. i think he was running an ampeg head as well. if it's anything like the svt 115e, then it is tight, clear and very punchy for a 2x15.

4. oyvind2305

oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004
    Norway
    I stack two SVT115`s..completely happy with it for more vintage Fender/Ampeg sound. not for the allrounders or hifi-fans.

5. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

yeah, but what's yer bass and amp, oyvind?

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I think it's similar. Note two-cell construction.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Those peavey BW-215s are crazy. Punchiest cab i've ever played through. Almost TOO punchy.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Wow, ouch,..........150 pounds! I am so old :eek:

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The interesting thing about this box to me is that - while heavy - it's more portable than a lot of stuff, including two 1x15"s.

It's its own handtruck and has sliderails, etc. It would work very well for me and my gigmobile. It's certainly less fatal to move than a bunch of combo stuff I have that runs around a hundred pounds per unit and is utterly unwieldy.

10. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    *cough* Claypool *cough*..

No? He's sound alright. I prefered the sound he got out of Mesa 2x15's though.

We also had an ampeg 2x15 at a local store, sounded ok, i've heard better 2x15's though. Including homemade with eminence speakers.

11. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    I thought most newer ampeg cabs have eminence speakers in them from factory. I blew a 10" in my 810 and ampeg sent me a replacement that still had the eminence sticker on it. Beyond that it was identical to the old blown speaker. I just assume the 15's would have eminence's in them, too.

12. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Here's One - http://cgi.ebay.com/Ampeg-Classic-S...386990860QQcategoryZ43372QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In the past I used to two SVT 15E cabs with an SVT CL. The sound was beefy and smooth, not as punchy as 10's. I liked it, it really filled out the bottom end. The only drawback was the 15E's are rated 200 watt RMS cabs and the CL was a bit too much for them at higher levels. My buddy used to play and SVT 810 paired with an SVT 215 driven by a vintage SVT. That sounded huge.

13. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I have an Ampeg classic 1x15 (looked at the 2x15 but it was just too heavy for my gig pay). The 1x15 doesn't look like much on paper, but it sounds great and is plenty loud. I've thrown my TF at 8ohms at it (pretty close to 200 watts) and it just kills.

14. I own an AMPEG 2x15.It sounds great with just about any head.Not as tight as my 8x10 but, alot more mid growl and slightly larger bottom.It is a 4ohm cab as well.Hope this helps.BTW any offers?

15. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

My buddy/coworker has one and loves it. I've played through it a few times at shows and prefered it to my 810 actually. Nice and full sounding AND it's lighter than my old 810.

Yay.

16. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    While I'm not a 15 fan, I can tell you that Freehold Music in Freehold, NJ had one the last time I was there.

17. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    I alway wanted to try a SVT-215E together with a SVT-810E.

18. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I like the Ampeg 215 a lot better than their 810s. I hate Ampeg 10 loaded cabs, but the 15s are pretty good.

19. vroc38

vroc38 Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Back in the '80s I used a '70s SVT head with an Ampeg B25 2-15 cabinet. It sounded huge, and was different from everybody else that was using the fridge cabinets back then. Didn't take long to pop the original speakers, and they were replaced with EVM-15L drivers. They sounded spectacular, and could take the punishment of the a cranked SVT without breaking a sweat. Never tried a modern Ampeg 2-15, but somebody has one on the Seattle craigslist for $150, with a missing grille and one missing speaker.

20. Hey thread-starter, if you did a search you would've found a similar thread I started last month... http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217712&highlight=svt215e

Anyways, I was at guitarstore yesterday and they had the SVT215E in stock. It looked awesome, same size as the SVT810E, but only deeper. It looks heavy but you know that huh!? :)
    Besides that it was dead-cheap compared to a new SVT810E.