Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone ever work with Guanacaste?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bassic83, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Really pretty, I got a good piece to resaw. Just wondering if anyone has built a bass with this as a top? It's from Central America, they use it to make cabinets and furniture. Not the strongest wood, but then neither is buckeye burl or spalted maple! Anyhow, it looks kinda like walnut crotch, has great "3-D" shift in the grain, even as rough-sawn.

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    any chance of getting a pic of the wood?

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'll post one tonite- I have a pic at home, but I'm at work... :rolleyes:

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    That is indeed a piece of crotch guancaste you've got there. Looks cool.

Doesn't show up much up north here. A lot of the lesser known central american and mexican species don't make it as far and so you're much more likely to get them in Texas and CA.

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    It's a big 'un! A solid 1 3/4" thick, 8" wide, I think it's 32 long. Should get a coupla tops and backs out of it resawing for bookmatching. I was going to have my neck lams show through, but when I saw this piece, I knew it was time to go full-face. Whatcha think?

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I hear it's a bear to work the end grain on this- anyone know for sure? Matt? Hammy? Tom? Bueller? Bueller?

7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    End grain always sucks to work. When you get a crotch piece you get end grain on the faces. Abrasive surfacing is going to be the way to go if you can do it.