1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone ever worked at a camp?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Apr 14, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I may be in line for a job at a kitchen for the summer, at some camp. A place up north, I think it's just an activity camp for girls, ages 6-16. My mom's friend's daughter is an administrator there, so she's going to try and hook me up. The job sounds simple enough, but the last time I was at a camp was a while back. Anyone here ever worked at a camp, summer job or otherwise? What do you think?

Edit: Room and Board is included.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    ken_d.

This man loves fat camp.

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    In the kitchen, it'll be alot of work, but the friendships you'll develope with co-workers will be amazing. You'll be exhausted at the end of the day, and likely, the money at the end of the summer won't be as much as you would like it to be.

You will have memories and experiences that will last forever.

What sort of camp is it? Is it a church camp? YWCA or whatever? Scouts? Campfire?

4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I think it's just a general activities camp. Probly some sports, maybe some crafts and skills, I don't really know. I should find out next week, if/when I get the job.

And the memories are what I've got in mind. I've heard camp work is a blast, I was just curious if anyone here had any first hand experiences.

5. Ding! This man hit the nail on the head. Working the kitchen is a unique experience as far as camp-jobs go. I've never met a guy who complained about it. The few years I helped run a summer camp we had a waiting list for the kitchen. It really turns into a tight fraternity by the end of the summer. You'll enjoy it.

Mike

6. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I used to work at a camp for kids with Muscular Dystrophy, and another one for kids with Cerebral Palsy. It was definitely a rewarding experience, and probably my favorite summer job.

7. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I worked at a day camp last summer entertaining a group of 8 3rd graders. Not very fun, but we went to the pool everyday. And I got paid quite well. It was a decent job...

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've worked at quite a few over the course of my life, with inner city kids, poor kids in Brazil, and Just High School Christian Camps. The most rewarding were the ones with disadvantaged kids by far. It makes you appreciate what you have and realize you have too much. And I must echo the comments about friendships.

One quick word of advice, be careful with the 6-16 year old girls. We don't wanna see no threads with the title, is 17 to old for 13? :D

9. I've spent the last two summers (returning this one too) working at a scout camp that is also used by the JROTC program in some schools. It is pretty remote, campers stay up there for a week. I live up there for about 9 weeks, going into town on the weekends. I ran the shotgun range, teaching kids how to shoot, safely handle the firearms, and how to repair/maintain/clean them. I'll be doing rock climbing this year.

The relationships I have formed with people are undescribable. I've gotten so close to so many people, it's like a family you love to be around. Plus, I love nature, and this place is an hour and a half away from any phone service or water (natural wellsused).

I spend all year telling myself "summer will be here soon..summer will be here soon...", whenever I get sick of the city and some of the people in it. Utopia? Almost. Hopefully, you'll be able to have a great experience there, not everyone feels the way I do about Lost Valley. Don't think I'd want to work in the kitchen though...brave man. And hey! girls!

10. Working in any kitchen is great fun. And im not sure what it is, but the people are usually very cool and you become a tight little group.

11. I was staff for Boy Scout Camp Cooper in '98. I helped run the rifle range, the waterfront, and the rank advancement area.

You will be dead by week 2. By week 3 you won't be able to remember your real name, and by the end of the summer you will gibber and drool like a drummer. And no, you won't get payed well. I worked for 7 weeks and ended up getting payed the princely some of $400. Given that I worked 6 days a week and was on call 24 hours a day, I got payed $0.39 an hour. Plus room and board, which was eating with the kids and sleeping in a tent.

And I'd do it again in a heartbeat.:D

Rock on
    Eric

12. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    bahahahaha :D

Yah, it sounds like a pretty sweet job. I should find out Monday whether or not I can get in. I hope so, saves me from having to hunt full time employment for the summer.

13. My brother and sister both worked at the church camp we all went to growing up. The owner wanted me as a counselor but I just need something that will pay the bills in the fall if I'll be moving out of state to go to college. They didn't get paid much, but figure they didn't spend any money, no rent or groceries and you get to meet a new group of incredible kids every week. If I didn't need money so badly I'd be there in a second. My sister is now engaged to one of the foreign exchange counselors from New Zealand that she met while working. Not only will it be a job, but it could be a summer to change your life forever. Good luck with it.

14. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Hmmm, actually I've rethought this. What you're far more likely to see is something like 'How do you know when a rubber breaks?'

:bag: :D :scowl:

15. Don't tell her your name. In nine months when she comes back to the camp looking for daddy, you've never seen her before. :bag:

Sorry.

16. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Hmmm. It may be a general maintenance job as opposed to kitchen staff. Not as cushy, but still cool. :cool:

17. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Maintenance guys at camp are EVERYONE's best friend....

You will meet everyone.. literally everyone...

And you get to be the here whenever something needs fixing... or something minor comes along...

Eat it up!!

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I worked in a Camp Kitchen one summer before I went off to Military school , it was a camp for Girls that came from economically challenged city neighborhoods and it gave them an oppertunity to enjoy the more country atmosphere of Long Island. For the most part I found it to be a very positive expirence. Good Luck with it.:)

19. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    My application has been faxed. Now I play the waiting game. :cool:

Aw the waiting game sucks, let's play hungry hungry hippos! :D

20. I've worked as general maintenance at a cabins campground in Harriman State Park for... well this summer will be my 3rd year.

It is AWESOME. One of the biggest perks for me is just working outside all day. Like Bassman said, everybody loves you. They might not seem like it at first when their hotplate is broken or there's a hole in their screen... but once you fix it they love you :) I love dealing with the people just as much as building and fixing stuff.

It's a small crew where I work and you get to know everybody really well... it's a great experience. Lots of fun... good luck man!