Anyone ever write any music that is another song by someone else and not know it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by darkjoker667, Nov 14, 2003.

1. darkjoker667

Apr 21, 2003
    I wrote this awesome bassline today and I know i heard it somewhere else before. This happens to me way too much.
  2. seems to happen constantly to me...very frustrating :mad:
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Funny that you mention this. I just pissed off our guitar player BIG time yesterday for this. He calls me, and HAS to come over to lay down this track of a new song he has been working on "forever".

He comes over, and I set up everything for him to record. As he is playing, I am listening on the headphones. After a couple measures I start singing the words to "Wish You Were Here" by Incubus. Then the song starts to sound like "No One" by Cold. After he is all done with this 5-6 minute recording, I take off the headphones and tell him all he played was a slight variation of "Wish You Were Here", and "No One". He gets pissed at me in a MAJOR way, calls me some names, tells me I have no talent for making my own songs, and leaves.

I honestly thought it was better to hear that from me in a room with just the two of us than in a crowded room full of "fans".

4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    It gets kind of creepy when it's about songs that you KNOW you haven't heard! I wrote a song about 8 or 9 years ago, with what I thought was a GREAT chord sequence. Then I happened to catch George Michael, of all people, doing an "unplugged" show for MTV. One of his newer songs had the exact same chords and same beat (although a different melody on top). I swear I hadn't heard that song before.
  5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    A while back, I wrote a song, and it turned out to be the same progression as Zombie by the Cranberries. Its not exactly the same song, but it is close enough to ruin it.
  6. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I recorded a guitar riff that sounded cool at the time, but a week later, I realized that it was very close to Black Sabbath's "Snowblind" verse riff.
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I've been on both ends of that.

Once, I was in my local record store and a Morrissey song was on. The track sounded vaguely familiar, so I walked up to the clerk who I've known for years and said "Would this song be ruined for you if I told you it reminded me of another song?" He said no, so I started to sing "And your bird can sing", by the Beatles. I kept on shopping and the song went on. The look on his face after a while was priceless. Once in a while I walk up to him and joke about other songs in the same way.

I'm also in an interesting instrumental Jazz trio: The guitarist is into Bill Frisell and uses delay pedals and loops, I'm sorta the jazz-funk-afro-brazilian guy and we have an old rock drummer who plays real loud. I guess we're fusion. I started the groove of a tune I wrote and the guitarist started playing "Impressions" by John Coltrane and it fit! We might have to play it like that...
  8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Freaky Fender just did this yesterday in a freewheeling solo soundscape. He had no idea he was playing Carol of the Bells for 10 minutes!

I read somewhere that Black Sabbath wasted a whole day in the studio accidentally recording an Aerosmith song. Seems it happens to the best of us.
  9. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    Yeah... I wrote this great little tune with bass harmonics once. Called it Potrait of Tracy. Some young punk called Jakeo, or Jaco Pasteurization, maybe it was pastorious, yeah, some young punk named Jaco Pastorious ripped me off.