Anyone experience the Carvin BX series heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Barry Clark, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Barry Clark

Barry Clark

May 9, 2007
    Hello all.

I am building a bass guitar and I am window shopping for bass amps.

I tend to play in metal bands on bass but use a more prog bass sound.

My favorite amp/cab manufacturer's are Demeter, Bag End, Pre-Fender SWR and GK.

I would love to get my hands on the Demeter HB600 but the price tag makes me want to shy away from it. Same for Bag End and, to a lesser degree, SWR. GK is just right price wise.

I was wondering, for those of you with experience, how does the Carvin BX series stack up against the GK and so on.

I am looking for HIGHLY articulate. I make quick little runs that sorta mud up in anything less articulate than the GK RB stuff.

Money is an object. I am looking for bang for buck.

Thanks all!

2. Below is a link to a thread full of several BX1200 reviews including mine. I'd definitely say this head is articulate, and it has tons of EQ versatility. I think it sits really well in the band mix as well. I'm enjoying mine so far.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558055

[​IMG]

3. Barry Clark

Barry Clark

May 9, 2007
    Thanks!

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    if you search the amps forum for "carvin" you'll find several bx mega-threads...

5. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Nothing but great things to say about my BX600, other than that they released the BX500 for a few dollars more about 2 months after I bought the 600. Great sound, lots of tonal variety....I love it!

6. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    The only problem I've found with the BX1200 is that you'll end up hearing problems with your technique that were never noticeable before.

edit: just re-read your post - if you're looking for "articulate" then this is probably a good thing

7. buckminster

buckminster Inactive

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I just played through a friend's BX600 combo amp at a party last weekend. It sounded great. I like the tone of the B1500 more, but there is a ton of EQ on the BX600.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021