Anyone experienced this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Aug 10, 2005.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I was trying to think of how to describe my new Tacoma in a review, and the one word that kept popping into my head was "fun."

That got me thinking -- aren't all decent basses fun to play? If they weren't, we wouldn't be playing them, right?

So I thought about it some more, and decided that there are different kinds of "fun" in playing bass. Playing my new Lakland is "fun" in a way that's sort of like driving a Corvette (or BMW, etc.) is fun -- satisfying on a very primal level -- almost an atavistic or cathartic experience. When I'm jamming on it, I tune the rest of the world out. :bassist:

Playing the Tacoma, on the other hand, is more like the kind of "fun" a three or four-year-old boy gets when he gets a new Tonka dump truck. It's pure joy, and I find myself giggling like an idiot while I'm playing it at times. :hyper: It's as tough for me to put it back in its case as it is for a 12 year old to put down the latest Harry Potter book. I can't wait for football season -- on weekends, I'm going to park my keister on the couch with the Tacoma in my lap and play until my fingers fall off. I'd recommend everyone who likes to be a couch potato at times to look into an ABG -- even a really cheap one.

Two totally different kinds of "fun." Ain't playing bass great? In the end, though, I think it has less to do with the actual bass involved than in the styles of playing -- the more styles of music I try, the more kinds of "fun" I can have.

Now I'm so excited I'm going back to have more fun. The only question now is:

Am I going to drive the Corvette, or the Tonka!? :D
  2. patonbass

Jul 24, 2005
    yeah man....

there is also that kind of fun when you get into the basses that might not play well but just look cool as hell and make you want to buy them for all of the wrong reasons :smug:. example: i have a '69 Lyle hallowbody bass, it looks so incredible and is in such awsome shape but when i plug it in it buzzes like mad and is waaay too loud in all of the noise you dont want to hear, but it is the fun comparable to '91 honda civic dx, its not fast, it doesent handle well, the AC is broken, but man is it dripping with mojo!

Attached Files:

3. BartmanPDX

FWIW, I went with the Tonka . . . :D
  4. mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Hey I'm 27 and I can't put down the lastest Harry Potter book! Right now I'm waiting for one of 2 basses to be finished My new Pedulla or the Custom Huff. All I have until then is an Ibanez Ergodyn which is about as fun to play with as a rusty matchbox car with sand in the wheels that got run over in the driveway.
  5. BartmanPDX

LOL. Your new basses will be worth the wait, I promise!
  6. mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    I have no doubts. I just wish I hadn't missed out on the Huff that Darrin posted for sale that was within a month of being completed.
  7. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I have a Tacoma Olympia and I had a Tacoma US Fretless. Both have been tons of fun. I know what you mean. My Fbass is a sleek, smooth, and serious axe, whereas the tacoma I pull out during thunderstorms, out at the park, in apartments with other acoustic players, or when I am in the mood for it, and its like I am a kid again! ;)
  8. howie

Aug 29, 2005
    sethlow3 - how is the volume of the tacoma olympia? i'm thinking about picking one up but was wondering how it is when you are jamming in apartments with other acoustic players. thanks.
  9. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Playing the bass should not be fun.
    It is a serious discipline.

10. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I keep the Dean by the couch for messing around. I always
    leave the Washburn in the bedroom. They are both fun to play. :) [​IMG]
  11. BartmanPDX

Since this thread was brought back from the grave, I'll just add that it's STILL just as fun to play the Tacoma as when I first got it. I still feel like a little kid playing it. My Xbox/home theater is gathering dust.

And it's pretty durn loud for an ABG. My wife won't let me play it upstairs any more because she's afraid I'll wake up the toddler. :D
  12. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I bought the Tacoma based on the fact that it is LOUD unplugged. It does sound a little more bassy than more ABGs, as in not like a guitary sound, especially since mine has tapewounds on it. The tapewound strings are awesome for tone on this baby. I play in the middle or by the bridge with the floating thumb technique instead of using a thumbtrest. Playing in that area will increase volume rather than resting your thumb on the neck. Playing with a pick also makes a huge difference in volume.

I usually just play with one acoustic at my friend's apt, but when two acoustics are used, I switch to a pick for some more presence. It has never let me down, and I always get smiles on my melodic fills to answer your question.

It should be played with a strap somewhat high, otherwise you will fight neck dive, but that is with any ABG. Also the "classical guitar" (in between the legs while sitting) position also decreases neck dive.

The Olympias are just as good in sound and feel IMO. The finish and wood used on the US models are very fragile. I have owned both and I say save your money and get an Olympia model.

13. I have fun playing basses sometimes!
    Depends on basses....
  14. bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    For years I played my 5 and 6 exclusively. On a lark I picked up my OB3-CE for about $270 after reading some great reviews on Harmony Central. Even unplugged, it has such a punchy tone I couldn't put it down for 3 days. I was in Blister In The Sun heaven. It was like getting to make out with the girl nex door. :D

In a one on one situation, it's plenty loud to practice with a buddy playin' a steel string guitar. I went through a stretch using my Olympia ABG on a weekly house gig run direct into the sound system. For the first time since I went extended range, I didn't miss the B string. The tone was so different and inspiring that I had fun playing everything on the four bronze beauties. These things are MADE to be played next to a good acoustic guitar. The club owner loved the way it sounded filling up the low end of his room and said it was easy to mix with.

If you're even thinking of getting an ABG, this is the best bang for the buck out there. I regularly use this axe by itself on acoustic gigs and it holds its own just fine. I also get plenty of complements on the look of it too. My electrics are sexy, my upright is magestic (and truly acoustic ;) ) but I can't look at that Olympia without wanting to pick it up. :hyper: