Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone experienced with Stewart or QSC PLX power amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Nov 11, 2002.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I am putting together a rack rig and am looking for a power amp
    although i love the sound of crest, crown macrotechs, aguilar and demeter tube amps, etc
    i refuse to get a big old heavy power amp
    i plan to use a variety of speaker combinations
    i have heard the stewart 2.1 and liked it i have never used a plx.......
    anyone with experience or opinions?

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I used a Stewart PA1000 with an Alembic F1-X preamp for a while and it sounded great! The Stewart amps are extremely light weight and sound really clean. I just ordered a new Stewart 1.6 this past weekend so I'll can let you know how it sounds in a week or two. I don't know how loud you play but I would think that the Stewart 2.1 would be over kill (unless you just like the headroom). I've owned an older QSC and never had any trouble with it but definetly prefer the Stewart over the older QSC's.:)

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah i am using an f1-x myself
    and yeah i am looking for headroom, not to melt earwax or to levitate the dog
    i have heard some negative things about overheating with stewart amps but i dunno
    the folks at epifani seem to like the 2.1 and say the plx amps are great too but not as transparent
    still like to hear from everyday players though

4. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I like my World 2.1 much better than the Crest V1500 I was using. Much lighter, the tone seems better to my ears, and mine doesn't seem to run hot at all. Headroom to spare!

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Another happy Stewart 2.1 user here. I haven't yet bridged the amp (2100W into 4 ohms), I simply like the flexibility that the overhead provides... I don't have to worry much about cabinet impedances, and I have the power to push low-efficiency speakers should I ever go that way. Also, the amp can move a lot of air without breaking a sweat.

Oh, here's a nifty little fact about the Stewart 2.1: it's actually a dual-mono amplifier. Meaning, it's possible for one side to continue functioning even if the other shuts down or fails.

6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I used the Stewart PA1000 in several gigs that I really pushed it hard and never had any problems (heat related or otherwise). And it didn't even have a cooling fan. I think you'd be very satisfied with the 2.1. Hey, and maybe avoid back surgery from carrying an extemely heavy rack!:D

7. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I am using a Stewart 1.2, and like it a lot. It replaced a QSC PLX1602, also a nice amp, but the fan on the PLX was too loud for me. The Stewart also sounds a bit better to me, but we're not talking major differences one way or the other - the QSC is a bit "clinical", the Stewart a little "warmer", if those words help.

I haven't had any overheating problems with the 1.2, but I left the rack open above it so plenty of air can circulate. With the new low prices of Stewart amps I think they are a good deal.

8. How are you running it? Stereo, Dual mono, Bridged into 8 ohms or Bridged into 4 ohms???:confused:

9. Carl Brusky

Carl Brusky

Sep 21, 2000
    I have run a 1.2 and now a PLX 1202. Both were running with the same preamp and cabinet and bass. I run bridged at 4 ohms. Probably the most stressful for a power amp.

The 1.2 went into thermal shutdown once and I had a space open around it and a fan blowing on it.

The QSC on the other hand has been running flawlessly for me for over a year now. I gig about 5 times a month and it was not let me down once. It sounds nice and has plenty of power.

10. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I run my Stewart 1.2 bridged all the time, into either one or two 8 ohm 1x12 cabs, so either 8 or 4 ohms. I'm not running it that hard, the -20dB light comes on pretty steady but that's about it.

11. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Anybody know a good contact to get Stewart's?
    Lord Valve pretty much has the best deals on QSC from what I have read but I'd like to try a Stewart before I purchase.

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I like the QSC poweramps much more than the Stewart 2.1 I used to have. To me the sound is more transparent... smoother.

13. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Very happy with my F-1X, PLX 1602 setup. Tight lows. Very clean. Haven't tried the Stewarts, but have a friend who has the PA1000(forerunner to the World 1.2) and he really is pleased. I think you are wise to audition both amps before deciding.

Kim

14. The QSC PLX has some features that may be handy -
    -indiv. defeatable clip limiters
    -indiv. defeatable low freq. filters @ 30 & 50 hz
    -stereo, parallel, bridge modes

The Stewarts and QSC's both seem to have a loyal following. If you can do an actual A/B comparison, buy whichever sounds best and don't look back.

:D

15. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Several years ago I traded for JOME77's PA-1000 and Alembic F-1X. I've still got the PA-1000 and since then have purchased a World 1.6. These are the best sounding power amps that I've used.

Chuck

16. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    FWIW, I found that the QSC clip limiters and low filters affected the sound quality negatively, and I ended up not using them.

17. After reading everything I think your choice should be any of the PLX amps or the Stewart 1.6 or 2.1. I just don't trust the Stew 1.2 because of the lack of fan. You also really have to leave one rack space above for cooling so you might as well get the 2 space 1.6 or 2.1 with the fan and ease you mind. Peavey makes a DPC 1400 single rack with a built in fan http://peavey.com/products/proaudio/poweramps/dpc1400x.cfm that might be worth a look. They are more expensive than the Stewart and QSC but they are lite and the owners seem to like them. jmho.... :D

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I would recommend using the clip limiters. They will not affect the sound quality at all because they are completely out of the audio path unless the amp actually clips. It's good protection against the distortion that clipping causes.

19. Bob, how does this work? Does it measure the input voltage relative to the gain setting on the amp and limit the input when it reaches a calculated value?