Anyone experimenting with Facebook ads to promote upcoming gigs?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BWB, Dec 18, 2012.

1. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    If so, have an opinion?

2. mikegug

mikegug

Oct 31, 2011
    A band I know did HEAVY FB ad marketing. The gig pics show no one in the audience. I did a free three-day trial. Almost same result. I won't spend money on it as a sole advertising expenditure.

I am interested to hear others' results.

3. Creamhill

Creamhill

Sep 25, 2012
    Canada
    Facebook ads only helped us to boost our Likes and Views on Youtube. That's it!

4. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    What we are after is longer-term name exposure. I'm doubtful any one gig is going to be increased by a Facebook ad.

5. mikegug

mikegug

Oct 31, 2011
    Doubt no more...

6. bands are already annoying enough on facebook, now they can advertise too?

7. Big Brother

Big Brother

Feb 13, 2011
    San Diego
    Roving sub-demon
    It could help if you already have a large dedicated following. But not to build one from scratch unless you are really clever.

Facebook is on its way out as an advertising medium IMO anyway, it has changed the updates feed recently such that only about 15% of your fans will see your posts, you have to PAY to have them all see your posts now. But that isn't economical for a local band, not even close.

You really won't attract many new fans though with FB ad campaigns unless you are a genius and tie it in with a lot of other coordinated local PR, people just don't look at those unless you really do something brilliant and even then you are quickly forgotten.

The math for gig advertising or exposure is really ugly. If you target your local area and demographics and get a 2% click rate and about 1% of those shows up, which is good, you are going to need to advertise to 500,000 Facebookers to get 100 people in the door. That likely won't be economical for you or even possible.

It can work to help your image if you are well known already, but even then your money is far better spent on other advertising such as bribing the media and prominent local bloggers to pump you up. :smug:

8. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Jul 11, 2011
    I've experimented with it. It worked well for getting more Likes, but not for getting more bodies to the gig.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021