1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone familar with the Carvin B5(kit version)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chriss, Apr 18, 2010.

1. chriss

chriss

Apr 27, 2007
    I have a chance to get one but it would be a long drive to try/pick up. I like the looks and have read a lot about Carvins in general but wanted to ask about this one in particular.

As mentioned, this one was biult from a kit but it looks nice.

My questions would be: What is the B string like and what should I expext to pay for one used

Search won't help with the B5 part, so any thoughts would be very appreciated.

2. Your best bet would be to go on the Carvin forum for questions pertaining to the B5 kit basses.

3. chriss

chriss

Apr 27, 2007
    Thanks...I looked there a little. But I am sure your suggestion is a good one. Thanks again

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have this one:

carvin01.

The B string is decent, but it of course depends on the strings you use. It isn't the best B I've played, but it is decent and with medium to high tension strings it is fine. I like it a lot, and play it in my current band on one song. I also have a fretted neck for it. The string spacing is a little narrow for some people, but I don't have a problem with it. I replaced the preamp with a Bart NTMB and it really sounds great.

Of course, since it is a kit it all depends on the person who put it together, what kind of finish they used, etc. You can't count on Carvin's quality control. I would definitely look it over really good and play it first.

5. chriss

chriss

Apr 27, 2007
    Thanks, I appreciate your input