Anyone familiar with Aggie AG500 or Epifani UL-502?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wateroftyne, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Hi all

I'm about to buy one or the other... and I'm torn! They're about the same price in the UK.

I need two channels as I'm going to switch from Pbass to EUB.

I can't really see that much between them, other than the Aggie doesn't have a limiter (which would be nice to take the edges off the EUB - I play it quite hard).

The Aggie has a clean channel and a drive channel... Can the drive level be set to 'subtle'? I can't find a manual on-line for it anywhere.

I'd also been considering the Thunderfunk, Eden, AI and EA, but the single channel approach has put me off a bit...

Thanks for your help!
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have an AG500 currently, it's a great little amp.
    We've talked about them quite a lot. If you do a search you'll find lots of info - including an AG500 vs Thunderfunk thread.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yup a few searches will give you hours of reading.
    the od channel on the aggie really doesn't do subtle OD the way you are probably thinking of it. i.e. it doesnt do that "sans amp" thing where it just barely starts to break up on the attack. at least not in the same way. The epifani is a nifty little amp. both channels sound really good. then again, both channels sound pretty much the same despite the different eq and whatever other differences there might be. Unfortunately i didnt get to crank it or do direct comparisons with other heads as far as tone goes, but it seems to be right up there in the clarity and warmth area. Hi Fi with character, whatever. I would put it in the same camp as the eden 550 or aggie 500. As far as single channel goes, i'm betting that with a good amp you probably wont have to make much adjustment at all when switching. The good preamps tend to sound good with everything flat no matter what bass you use.
  4. Cheers chaps...

I did a search earlier, and somehow missed the two threads that actually talk about the AG500. Lord knows how that happened.. :confused:

Anyway, the 2nd channel sounds less-than-subtle which means it's no good for me. :crying: I'm glad I know now though!

The Epifani looks like the one for me, although I like the idea of the Thunderfunk. I don't know how it'll sound with my EUB, and if I'll be able to adjust for each on the fly using the timbre control though.... :help: