Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone familiar with Hamer jazz basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dryheatbob, Aug 24, 2003.

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2553180180&category=4713&rd=1

Saw this on ebay, and am trying to get some info on it.

Anybody know something about them?

The usual review sites don't have any info on it.

Failing that, does anybody have any thoughts on Hamers' slammer series? Are they any good? Anybody know where they're made? I figure they aren't US made like the rest of the Hamers since they're relatively cheap.

Thanks for any info.

Bob

2. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I can safely point out to you that that particular bass is not a Slammer but a Hamer. Its an import Hamer Cruise Bass(Made in Korea). They're much cheaper than the infamous U.S-made Hamer Cruise Basses which are unfortunately discontinued now. I've not played one but I remember asking Josh Walsh about them and he had the nicest things to say. Slammer basses are made in Indonesia, if I'm not mistaken. If its a Slammer it will have a big "SLAMMER" written across the headstock instead of Hamer.

I'm a fan of Hamer basses and I have a Hamer Velocity 5 on the way. Their customer service is A+! I exchanged alot of emails with Frank Rindone their product manager and he's supplied me with alot of information and even went the extra mile to send me a copy of the Bass Player Magazine review on the Hamer Velocity bass and a nice Hamer catalogue.

I wouldnt be so quick to bid that particular bass though considering the seller has no feedback ratings and that he has his facts wrong. Just to be on the safe side.

Good luck! :bassist:

3. Thanks for the input, cone.

This guys 0 rating had me a little leery to bid, but given the info you supplied, I may well pass.

But I think I'll keep an eye out for another one:ninja:.

Thanks again.

Anyone out there play or own one of these things?

4. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    *Bumps thread for dryheatbob*

5. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
  6. I had a Hamer import (Korean, like the one in the auction) 5-string Cruisebass and I liked it just fine. I got rid of it when I decided the 5 wasn't for me, not because there was anything wrong with the instrument. It had a fat sound and excellent neck/fret work. I'd hold out for a used USA Hamer Cruisebass because you'll be able to find one at a decent price and I think you'll be happier in the long run.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Personally I would trust anything with the HAMER name on the headstock implicitly, particularly any Cruise Bass. One of the best Jazz clones ever made IMO. If you can find a USA Cruise it's easily as good as a USA Fender.

8. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Word.

9. So of course I've been checking Ebay every 10 minutes or so hoping another one comes up from a seller that doesn't give me the willies.... and nothing's there.:bawl:

I'd like a USA cruise, but out of the cash I have to blow on toys I bought a hard case for a Schecter Deleo I got about a month ago. That leaves around 2 bills for a bass I'm not sure I'll even play much- I just want something with a jazz sound to mess around on.

Whole lotta Peavey foundations and old jazz copy basses popping up on Ebay... got the feeling an impulse buy is in my future...then there's always Essex.

'course if you guys, my 'extended family' here at TB, feel so inclined as to send donations my way at say $20 a pop I'd feel obligated to pick up a Hamer Cruise bass!;)

Bob

10. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey Bob I just checked your profile. I used to have a GB44 too. Not mind blowing or anything but its certainly an awesome bass for the price. I wished I hadn't sell it.

How are you liking your Schecter DeLeo sig. I almost bought that a few months ago.

11. I also have a Hamer cruise 2 Tek 4 string fretless. EMGs w/ an active pre.
    These are great basses, well built, very playable, and that 2 Tek bridge sustains notes for days. I'd say there as good as if not better than any jazz bass at there pricepoint. Unfortunately i've only seen them around $400-600 .
    frank

12. You can go to www.hikarate.com and click on Hamer Fan Club, then click on Message Board and ask the people there Hamer questions. It is a very friendly and helpful board. When it comes to Hamers, they REALLY know their stuff.

13. Yeah, I saw your Bart Simpson signature series model.:D

I like it alot and probably wouldn't be looking for a jazz copy if I had the newer GB44 with a jazz pup at the neck- mines just got the MM pup at the bridge. I keep going back and forth between keeping it and selling it and using the cash from it and what I've got to pick up a better jazz- that just might move me into Cruise USA territory.

Problem is every time I pick it up, I can't see selling it. Thing just plays so damn nice.

The Schecter is just about the best $275(used) p/j bass I think I could've bought. It just has that LOOK. And the build quality seems far better than others in that range I looked at. The neck radius is a bit bigger than my Cort, so it took some getting used to. I put some Rotosound Flats on it and and the thing sounds soooo right(I don't care much for the brightness or feel of roundwounds)! Some folks here don't care for the pups, But they sound fine to me. Guess my ear isn't as trained as some others. Oh well. One mans treasure...

Bob

14. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Hey Cone, have you played the Velocity basses? Im thinking of getting one.... when you get it, post a review please!

thanks!

15. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Before I ordered my Velocity(it'll arrive late October..bummer, I know) I did alot of research and asked some people questions regarding Hamers, this is what I got.

Neptoon says:

1)yep, that would be mr. les shelton...awesome bass player. that bass has a relatively small body as compared to, say, a fender j-bass...but not really warwick thumb small. it's pretty heavy, though. i would say about 8 pounds. the body is made of a solid piece of bubinga. the sound is really tight and punchy, sort of trebly, but you can eq that out, if you're not into the highs or the high mids. chords sound really great on this bass, and it's really articulate...just so you know, the guy that plays this bass sets his lows and treble flat on his amp (a pod pro preamp through an ampeg 4x8) and bumps his mids a little...both pups are maxed and he plays really close to the bridge. his sound is really close to a stanley clarke tone. hope that helps, man...take care!

2)it was built quite well, actually...and the bridge is pretty solid, too...if you've ever seen a spector bridge, one that has no intonation screws, really clean looking, it has one of those, and the neck was pretty thin. the spacing was about 19mm, it is the four string version. the sound is pretty unigue as the ncek is maple and walnut. has a clearer upper midrange than say a bolt neck warwick because of the neck woods. the pickup configuration i think lends a little to the sound, too. they're both canted forward a little.

HeavyDuty says:
    1) Morning!

Hmmm, let me think...

It was a four, and as I recall it was about the same size as a Stingray, but thinner and more contoured. It was very comfortable, but a tad on the heavy side.

Tone was similar to my Sterling, but I'm bad at putting sounds into words.

All in all, a very nice bass! Which version are you getting?

Good luck with the wait!

2)I've always liked Hamers. I would gladly take one of their Artist guitars for my only electric!

The local dealer wasn't cheap - I want to say around US$800 or so. As I remember, the quality of construction was great - as you probably know, it's Korean, but high end construction like a DeArmond or (almost) a Lakland Skyline.

The finish is what really attracted me. The one I looked at was in a natural matte finish bubinga that was very well done - I couldn't find any finish or woodworking flaws, and I'm critical. I liked the neck heel - it looked strong, but was streamlined and offered good access to the upper frets.

All in all, a very sweet bass! Did you get bubinga or ash?

Bass Player Magazine did a review on the Velocity in their December 2002 issue and James(Speddling) was kind enough to quote some of the stuff that was said about the bass in the review.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tonally, Bubinga is renowned for its deep lows, punchy and articulate mids, and compressed attack.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
    The Hamer is an aestetically alluring instrament; its components have a pleasant, organic continuity.

quote:
    gives the Velocity a raw, authoritaive punch --just what you'd expect from an MM-style bass

quote:
    Slapped and fingerstyle, the Velocity growls ferociously.

-----------------------------------------

I'm not sure if I asked Josh anything about the Velocity basses, he might know a thing or two about them. I remember asking him about Cruise basses because he owns one.

To back all this up, I went to my local dealer last week and they stocked a couple of Velocity basses(ones with Jazz pups..I ordered the one with the single hum at the sweet spot) and spent a good 20 minutes testing it out. Sweet tone, I managed to get alot of tones out of it, probably because of the J pups. It was excellently built and I really liked the neck. I can't wait for mine to arrive!

Let me stress again that Hamer has an extremely good customer service support. This is probably the 2510th time I've said this. I exchanged tons of emails with Frank Rindone(Hamer's product manager), he was more than glad to help answer all my queries and he was kind enough to send the Bass Player Magazine issue with the Velocity review inside as well as a really nice Hamer catalogue(at my request).

I don't know about you guys but with this kind of customer service, it'd really make me want to get an instrument from them all the more.

16. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Nice score! I think those DeLeos cost about 500 odd dollars probably close to the 600 dollars mark new. They look really nice, I bet they sound as nice too like you said. I heard from some that it has a really beefy tone. The Schecter dealer here overprices you if you order a bass(or guitar) that's not in stock and I would end up paying about a hundred, probably 150 more than what the instrument is worth so I ditched it.

Yeah the Cort GB44 that I owned was the 2002 version with the extra J pup at the neck. That bass wasn't phenomenal or anything like that but I give it a 10 for playability. The tone was very simplistic. It kinda reminds me of a Pbass in the respect that it performs it tasks brilliantly. The simplicity of the bass was what triggered me to get it. I sold it because I needed the money to place a deposit for the Yamaha BB1000MA that I ordered and I ended up ordering the Hamer Velocity and I lost the money that I've deposited. I pretty much gave the GB44 away. Does your GB44 have a Fishman preamp because mine had that.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like my mid 90's import Hamer. I bought it in 99 from eBay for about $300 with the intent to defret it. I did that a week after I received it. The stock pickups were pretty alright, but the Barts are much better for me. The 'B' is actualy real nice... I was suprised.

18. The Cruise 5 2TEK was my first real bass, and a very good one at that. I used that same bass for four years before I went crazy. Hamer seems like a fine company, and their products are consistently good.

19. I don't have a clue what preamp is in it- I've never been inclined to open it up. Mind if I ask what you got for your GB44? I may wind up selling mine if I get something new or if I can't find a cheapie I like and need the extra cash. Knowing what others are selling for might help me make my mind up on whether to keep it or not- no sense selling if the price is too low.

Huh. Just realized I hijacked my own thread. The nerve of me!:mad:

Bob

20. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I don't know if I'm able to help you. I'm in Singapore and guitars and basses here are cheap. I've heard some Australians come here on a stopover just to get musical instruments.
    Back to the topic, I got my GB44 for about $195 USD and I sold it for just a little under that.

I'm just guessing it has a Fishman preamp because the battery compartment cover has Fishman's logo on it.