1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone familiar with Rosetta Stone (language)?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Phantopeth, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm interested in trying to learning Spanish here and there in what free time I have, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with that Rosetta Stone software that's being hawked on TV.

Anyone?

2. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    a friend of mine has one , she is triying to learn Spanish and according with her it is a good method. You can try just be sure to find a way to practice what you are learning. If you do not have friends that speak Spanish then iistening music will be a good tool.

3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Sorry, I can't help. But I'm curious as well. My son might need to learn Spanish soon, and this might give him a jump start. But it's pretty expensive (I think around $400.00), so I'd like to hear some feedback from "real" people who have used it.

4. I've thought about this as well (German). Would love to hear some real insight.

5. I can get Rosetta Stone training free though work, but I haven't tried it out yet.

6. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I work around several women of varying hispanic descent that all speak Spanish with each other throughout the day, as well as a good friend of mine is marrying a Mexican lady who is also bilingual, so I will definately have the opportunity to practice / have help from people around me. I'm glad to hear your friend approves of the method, pedroims; I am yet to find a poor review.

7. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    My wife is using it to learn Spanish, and she really likes it. The great thing about it is that it isn't based on rote memorization, and uses lots of pictures so you can attached words to mental images instead of words you already know. She has good retention because of it. We live in a Hispanic area, so there is plenty of opportunity to practice it.

My wife highly recommends it.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Hey, burn me a copy, por favor.

:D

9. DavidJohn

DavidJohn

Sep 11, 2008
    I've tried Rosetta Stone and it is completely over-priced for what you get. (I did Spanish.) Basically it is a lot of money for a pretty quick course that just shows you photo after photo after photo. Fun at first, but it grows old QUICK. My girlfriend had an older version of something called Tell Me More, and it was a THOUSAND times better. Anyway, Rosetta Stone wasn't worth it, at least not for me. Probably should beware.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Man I was really suprised how much the program is. At a table in the mall they were going for over $400.

11. who says you have to pay for it :bag:

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'm curious about it, too. The only local college that offers Russian only offers it in the middle of the day, and in my line of work, it would be VERY useful. I've thought about Rosetta Stone because I can either write it off as a business expense or ask the company to reimburse me for it.

13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Where do you live? Glebe Rd? :)

14. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    I have always wanted to learn Italian :)

15. brivello

brivello

Jun 27, 2008
    Philadelphia
    at first glance i thought you were talking about the actual Rosetta stone, and were asking people if they knew hieroglyphics/Greek

16. My library used to offer free online subscriptions to Rosetta stone, and I played with the German one for several hours. Unfortunately, (partially since it was free) I didn't devote enough time to it to finish the 3 courses like I meant to, and then the library dropped the program. That was disappointing...

I thought it was a pretty good program, but I'd have a hard time justifying the $400 price tag. Now, if the $400 got you *every* language they do rather than just one, I would probably go for it.

17. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    See if there is a one-off vendor doing the DLI (Defense Language Institute) method.

Also, learn how to pronounce the sounds correctly first off. There was a CD/booklet series called "How to Pronounce _____ Correctly"

18. stoob

stoob

Feb 3, 2008
    Horten, Norway
    My wife has the Tell Me More course also and she likes it a lot.

19. I own it for German. I tried to use it for learning a bit before school started, and I wasn't very impressed, especially for the price tag. I would go with the "Tell me more" software, which I've heard many a' great things about, and I believe it's cheaper.