Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone familiar with this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Llama's Rage, May 6, 2004.

1. I'm lookin for a 6 in this price range (or lower); anyone heard of this or played it?

Clicky

2. I used to have one of those. It's a nice bass at a good price.

3. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Whoa. Not bad for a 6.

(Wassup Dave!)

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    If you like that Ibanez, there's quite a few on eBay. They're all cheaper than $600.

SR 406

SR 646

SR 406

I like the Yamaha RBX6JM John Myung signature model, if you can find one.

I hope this helps. :)
    :bassist:

5. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    I have played the four string model, very nice tone and sound. The mahogany give a very clear deep boomy tone with scooped mids and lots of bright treble.

I would order a six of this one, but the cons for ME are:

-34 in scale
    -Sound Gear neck (painfully asymetrical, very skinny at nut with the only comfortable area for me around 10th fret and up. But this four string's neck had very a nice symetry and roundness to it, but the neck was still thin and small.)
    -Ibanez (Im so f'n tired of Ibanez. Real cool when you first buy them but the pain of all the problems with the bass slowly set in.)
    -Pickups were made by Ibanez
    -Fretted

I think Id rather buy a Mahogany Roscoe ;) ... Fretless of course... with a sipo top... and wide spacing... and 35in scale... and barts... and... and...

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    One Roscoe with Sipo top, coming up! :D

7. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    Hey Jay!

I think i'll stick with the other top though...

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Either way, you can't lose! :D :bassist:

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I played one in a store a few months ago... I kinda liked it. It's the only 6-string I've ever played though, so I can't really compare it to anything else. ;)

The neck profile was very thin, which I like... the neck was also pretty fast and easy to play (for a 6 :p). Sounded pretty good, but the B string (and to a lesser extent, the E) sounded a bit weak. With a change of pickups/preamp I bet it could sound pretty sweet.

The only other thing that really bothered me about it was the very narrow string spacing, but that's difficult to avoid on a 6-string I guess.

I'd suggest really making an effort to try to find one in a store somewhere, since it's very difficult to tell whether you'll like it or not without having a chance to play it before buying.

10. thanks! i'll be sure to check one out next time I find a music store :)

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The SR series basses are great for non slappers! The neck profile and string spacing are extremely narrow.

12. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    My bass teacher has a Yamaha TRB something something something. I have also played that same Ibanez in the picture. Both of them sounded about the same, but the Yamaha felt better on my hand. I have also played the John Pattituci Sig Yamaha 6, which was really cool, but not in your price range.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That is a decent enough 6 for the price, if you don't mind narrow string spacing. I have the older version of the 506, with the maple body. The B string is a lot better than most budget 5 and 6 stringers that I have played, especially if you use good taperwound or exposed core strings. Mine has Dean Markley SR2000s on it. The only negative about the bass, besides the narrow string spacing, is that it is lacking in mids. This will get you buried in the mix if you play with loud guitars. Mahogany is supposed to have strong mids, so maybe this version cuts through better than the maple bodied version. I just noticed that the preamp has a mid control. That should solve the problem that mine has.