1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone familiar with?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kazamamaster, Apr 25, 2006.

1. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Hey, I know you guys have seen the little ads they have in the back of BASS player magazines, the ones that advertise the CD's for perfect pitch? Anyone have any experience with those or that sort of thing?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This is more appropriate for General Instruction, I'll move it there.

And those things are a waste of money.

3. From what I have heard from guys on here, those things are a complete scam. Do a search and you'll probably find a bunch of threads on it.

4. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    +1. Spend your time getting better at relative pitch. Plus everybody I've met with perfect pitch was really annoying.
    Always telling me if a note was off, string detuned by a hair etc etc.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ear training can be accomplished for free. It's all about relative pitch anyway, learn your intervals, and if you have a good starting point (I can hear E, A, D and G in my head from years of tuning) you'll have no problems iwth anything else.

6. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    how can you even trust the people pictured in those adds, come on!

7. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I bought that about 15 years ago... when it was in cassette tape version. I never opened it, just put it away. I got it out last week, just to finally check it out.

The first tape (total about 45 minutes) was all about how wonderful it was going to be and how one just had to believe that would work etc. etc. etc.

Second tape remains unopened.

If this subject is a concern of yours.... play to Abersold CDs. Or just pick out melodies by ear (you'll get better at it!). As with anything involving music technique, you're better developing what you have than wishing for something.