Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone find it annoying when....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sabo, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Sabo

Sabo

May 18, 2003
    Big bass companies who make basses that have always been Very high quality and pretty highed in price start making LOW end 400-500 dollar basses??? I always like and played warwicks... and I still love them, but I hate that they make stuff like Rockbass for $500... Maybe im a snob and don't want people playing my brand who have no idea what they are doing. The basses I choose to play aren't the most expensive, those being the Warwick Corvette Pro 4 strings, they are only around 1200.00 new with the deal I get on them. I just dont like seeing the warwick name on what I consider not worthy of it.

The Bass Snob
    sab

2. Maybe they are trying to make basses affordable to those who don't have as much money as the other basses cost?

3. Sabo

Sabo

May 18, 2003
    ya they are, that I know I just dont want them to =P Go BUY A PEAVEY for $150...

4. Its all about sales man...people hear how good the basses are so when they make a cheap one people jump at it thinkin its a super good bass.

5. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Sounds like basic economics as well.

You offer an entry level product that is affordable and "decent" quality. After that, the newcomer/poor-man uses it, grows out of it and realizes they would like to upgrade. As long as their experience was good with the lower end products, there is a good chance that owner will come back to the same company for the upgrade to a higher end model. The company retains/increases their portion of the market.

Personally, I think the Rockbass line is a good idea. When I first started playing in 8th grade, the $1000+ basses were a dream and way out of reach (literally since most music stores hang their higher end stuff higher up on the wall out of reach of kids). As a kid, having a summer job would enable most of us to afford the lower end products and still have a "decent" bass. Whether it is a $150 Rogue or a $500 Rockbass, the lower half still has widespread affordability. Even the lower half of the range still has a huge difference in quality.

Though it is great to think that the companies care about the "little-guy" (aka Mr. No Money), they wouldn't do what they do if it wasn't profitable.

Just a side note: Anyone who thinks that they need to spend $1000+ to have a decent sound is a sucker for advertisements.

Though not totally related, Harley Davidson has been going thru alot of internal changes. Why? Because their customer base is dying off and their huge cruisers don't appeal as much to the younger generations. They needed to grasp the younger market before other companies did. That was the point for them coming out with the V-Rod, a performance bike totally away from Harley's usual cruiser Dyna-Glides, Softails, Fatboys, etc.

I'm done rambling.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I owned a Warwick Corvette Standard fretless at around the time the Rockbass line came out. Didn't make my bass sound any worse.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ahhh....but it almost certainly had a negative effect on the re-sale value of your bass!!:meh:

8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    almost sounds like you jealous...
    so you hate the line because who can't spend that much money on basses...so warwick is trying to make money, thats a bad thing? and aahh and $500 is alot to some people...and thats not a cheap bass...this mid low...

read my sig!!!!

steve

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Maybe, but I didn't buy it to sell it. I don't purchase basses as investments.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Neither do I, but in the past have had to sell instruments because of force of circumstance and you have to admit it can be very annoying when you get a lot less than you paid out? :(

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I disagree. They don't appeal to the same market.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Where's the evidence for this - Warwicks are now just a wide range of basses that go down pretty low and most people move gradually up - they are not separate markets, just a set of bass players who have limits over time. So as people get jobs, better jobs, earn money, they move their price range up.

When people talk about basses they mention BRAND - but people are going to say Warwick and associate their bass with Warwick, whatever model it is. So when selling, nobody is going to say - well it's only a cheapo rock bass! :rolleyes:

They are going to advertise it as a Warwick bass - so when buyers see lots of Warwicks around at low prices, they are almost certainly going to be less inclined to pay higher prices for used "standard" Warwicks - most people won't even know the difference, but an influx of lower priced products bearing the same Brand will always depress the used market.

It is basic Marketing - Warwick have "diluted" their Brand!

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That's why it's a "Rockbass by Warwick"!

Do sales of Squiers affect MIA Fenders to any significant extent?

I say no - players forced into a lower priced bass due to economics are rarely a real candidate for the "real" model. However, by offering a tyro version of your line, you can develop brand loyalty early in a bassist's life.

Where's the evidence for *your* position? ;)

14. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    its the same thing as epiphone, squier..hhmmm every brand has a cheaper line that they can sell to the younger crowd..

steve

15. Bruce Lindfield

Well, I think there has been a lot of this and each time all the prices come down. So when I was young there were no Squiers and MIMs and the Fender bass was seen as the ultimate - but in the UK only the pros could really afford them - they really held their value - even if they weren't that good basses.

So I can remember 70s Fenders that were pretty poor going for high prices and I owned a Mustang bass that was truly awful in every way but sold for a decent price.

But as soon as Squiers came in, the market went down and pretty soon everybody could afford a used Fender.

More recently, just a few years ago Laklands appeared and there was a big buzz about them over here - they were going for big money and even used, you were looking at over £2,000 - but now nobody is going to pay £2,000 for a Lakland when you can get a new 55-02 deluxe for about £1100 new!!

Anyway - I don't really need evidence because as I said, it is in any basic Marketing text book - if you dilute the Brand, the overall market will be depressed - very simple stuff!!

And consumers are smarter nowdays - nobody buys this attempt at separation - you know they will be advertising rockbasses on eBay as "Warwick Bass" !! ;)

16. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I am glad they did this. Other people doing similar is going to allow me to get a G&L and a Lakland both. I can't afford the top of the line, but I will gladly take a Tribute and Skyline. I think of it this way, this allows those brands I really like to stay competetive and not sell out completely and go all MIK/MIC. This allows a broader spectrum of players to "get their feet wet" with an entry line and when they get better, possibly bump up to the real thing. BTW, I heard a Rockbass 5 at a concert in Orlando (classic rock cover band), and it sounded pretty dang good.

17. Sabo, you said

"Maybe im a snob and don't want people playing my brand who have no idea what they are doing"

I am curious why should only people with years of playing under their belt be allowed to play a certain instrument? And who has the right to dictate what constitutes bad playing?

Free Market! plain and simple:)

18. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well yea, this does come off as snobbish. But, that doesn't make you right,, or wrong. At least you can admit that you're being a snob! hehe.

But, ya know,, it's all about the marketing. You've used the Warwick example. Retailers can push Rockbasses all day, simply because they're only $500. Where as, that same retailer might only sell 1 or 2 Corvette's or Thumb's a month.

This marketting practice runs rampant throughout our retail system, in virtually every single retail category. Cadillac .vs. Chevy, etc... Hell, it even exists in Washer's & Dryers. Maytag, does that kinda ****... Course, I don't know ANYONE who'd be a dryer snob! LOL.

Anyway, I'm kinda glad this happens, because kids can actually get thier hands on a decent instrument for a decent price.

19. bollefen

bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    CT
    I'm a reasonably successful guy, house, 2 mercedes and a rockbass.

i'm also a wine writer and wine critic published in 30+ newspapers nationally.

serious wine critics taste wine blind so their eyes don't read the label and decide which is the better wine. blind many "high profile" expensive wines loose to mid priced well made wines.

bass snob? you decide. I've got my mercedes and think they're worth the money. some folks think i'm a car snob.

like my rockbass as well as 3 fender jazz, 2 mim 1 mia, guess i'm not a bass snob

i read the totally inane comments on the board and am amazed by people who swear by things never having compared them to alternates...

...and swear at things never having really tried them.

have you seriously tried / spent some time with a rockbass?

:meh:

anyway, enjoy your warwick what they as a company do does not diminish the fine instrument you seem to really like! ;)

bill :D

20. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    In the end, it's what YOU are holding in your hands that matters. If you're worried about prestige, you can ultimately do something vain by sanding the brand name off the headstock or covering it with a sticker.

In the end, what should matter to you is the bass YOU are playing, not what someone else is buying and playing.