Anyone from Denver want a 4x12 for $12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by throbbinnut, May 22, 2003.

1. I just won an eBay auction for an old Peavey 4x12 cab that looks like it will work for bass. Anyway, the shipping will be over $100, and it ain't worth that! Anybody in Denver want the thing? Post here. We'll figure out some way for you to go pick it up and hand over the $12 for it.

Here's the auction:

2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I have to wonder why you bid on it to start with. The shipping charges are spelled out very clearly.

It would be a shame to ruin your feedback record. On the other hand, it's a shame to blow a Hundred bucks on a cabinet like that.

3. ratgeek

Oct 5, 2002
    hay i live in denver. Do you want only $12 or the shipping on top of that. If you only want $12 bucks I'll take it.
  4. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA

Just did an estimate with UPS... their cost to ship from the 'posted' zip at E-Bay to SoCal is only $75.

Even with the additonal $12 reimbursment for your bid price, it's still slightly less than $100?... seems like it would be even less expensive shipping it in your area??

michael s.
  5. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I just shipped a huge old Acoustic 4x12 from Newark to Vegas via Greyhound bus (too big for UPS and FedEx). It was $76
  6. Well, in response to why I bid on that clunker, I assumed that shipping would be reasonable, like no more than $75 or so. Then after I bid my measly $12, I went to the Baxexpress website that they use for shipping and got a whopping $98 for shipping, plus the store's $10 handling charge.

And here's their total they emailed me:

Item Price: $11.50
    Shipping & Handling: $135.00
    Additional Shipping: $0.00
    Total: $146.50

I could've stomached paying $90-$100 for the thing, but not $146 which is what it would end up being.

As for blowing my feedback, all I'd have to do is Paypal them $12 and I've fulfilled my obligations. They could take it out back and burn it after that or set it on the curb. I just figured I'd turn my bidding mistake into an opportunity for some Talkbasser. :D

That thing ain't a cadillac, but for $12 it'd be excellent for someone looking for a cab to mess with. It can be rewired to 8 ohms no problem.

Ratgeek, it's all yours man. I've emailed you so we can set up details.

7. Chris's music is where I got my amp head. I also bought it off ebay and went and picked it up to eliminate shipping.
  8. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    if its not had yet ill take it. i know someone who is just starting out who could use it.
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You may want to re-wire it. 2 ohms is a bitch of an impedance......
  10. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Sounds like you've got the prob covered. Ain't Talkbass great? :)

Actually, I would love to have the cab to go with a Peavey PA400 PA head that I've just aquired.

Should be easy enough to change the impedence of the beast.

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    That's local Music Go Round store had one of these about a month ago and sold it for $199.

As far as shipping goes, if you and the seller are near a ForwardAir terminal, shipping should be about $45 terminal to terminal. They'd have to deliver it to the Denver terminal (assuming that there is one) and you'd have to pick it up.

I used them a couple of times a year or so ago, rates were about $20 per 100 lbs with a $45 minimum.
  12. Yeah, that's the thing, I've got to use their shipper of their choice, so I'm stuck with that rate. That's why I just let somebody else have it. Old Ratgeek should have it by tonight.

13. The power of talkbass, right here. Nice.

By the by, love your sig throbby. Three of my favorite authors. And Simpsons. And sink peeing.

14. mthoople

Nov 1, 2001
    Denver, CO

I work at Chris' Music Exchange, and have been taking care of our "blowout" operation to get rid of some of these items we've had for too long. Fortunately, most of the big cabs have been picked up locally, but we have shipped quite a few as well.

We don't ship big cabs UPS because when UPS drops them (and they WILL drop them), they break: joints come loose, speakers tear loose, bracing crumples. We've never had a damage claim with BAX and many with UPS for large items. The reason for the BAX quote being higher is that BAX charges $25 for delivery to a residential address, but they don't include that in their website quotes.

Ratgeek, hope you have a strong back! Fortunately, it has casters. I'm pretty sure the M in 412M is for "Mutant" since this is a huge 412. It will be ready for you when you come to pick it up tomorrow.

15. I'm a big fan of the sink peeing. :D

16. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Note to self: don't use sink at Music Exchange.

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Why do you think they put backsplashes on sinks? Huh?
  18. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
  19. ratgeek

Oct 5, 2002
    I picked up the cab and thing is bleedin huge. I still need to rewire it but that won't be a problem. I put a new grill cloth on a that made a huge difference. but what can I say I got it for $12.
  20. Excellent. I'm glad it worked out.

I left positive feedback for the seller!