1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone From Syracuse, NY or Nearby?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fremenblue, Feb 28, 2008.

1. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    My wife and I are thinking of relocating to Syracuse. The house prices are phenomenal compared to where we are now. She's familiar with the winter weather, coming from Montreal, but neither of us know anything about the city or economy. I've seen good trucking jobs available there--that's what I do, local freight, LTL. I can buy a nice house for close to half what I paid here. Crime levels is a concern also. It's no cake walk here, but it's mostly property crime, our violent stuff is below national average.

Anybody?

2. I'm not sure currently about Syracuse as I'm removed from upstate NY for nearly 10 years. Having said that, I would guess it's pretty much the same as 10 years ago as I have family in Utica, NY (approx 50 miles to the east) and nothing has changed in much of upstate NY. Syracuse has a really big, nice mall (Carousel) I think it's one of the largest in the Northeast.

It's a typical eastern city where they have some old industrial areas, poor run down areas, and better places to live. Basically, I think it's where many people flee to the burbs and the city is falling apart (don't quote me though).

My guess on crime would be that it's average. You can find some crime info on the FBI's UCR website...

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/prelim2007/table4ne_oh.htm

Also some crime maps & info here...

http://www.syracusepolice.org/

Property taxes are more than likely high as that's the case in much of NY. Your best bet to find additional info is search city, chamber of commerce, tourist websites. Check out mapquest & get info on some of the burbs (Liverpool, Dewitt, etc). You already know about the weather but Syracuse is also a heavy lake effect snow area. Since it's close to Lake Erie and Ontario it gets more than it's share of snow than other areas (not sure if Montreal gets lake effect or not). Gas & Electric will be expensive (I heated a small home and it was $280.00 a month during winter).

Some more news & stuff (sometimes if you check the archives you can get an idea how things generally are).

http://www.syracuse.com/

good luck.

3. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Thanks for the heads-up! We were looking on MLS and the property taxes compared to what we are paying here are really tiny. Here I'm in a 1300-1400 sq ft house paying 1850 a year property tax. Property tax on much larger houses in Syracuse were below 500. Is there another property tax additionally that is not being revealed?

Montreal doesn't get near the lake effect snow that places like Buffalo, Rochester and I suppose Syracuse would. They are surrounded by water--rivers--but not the sizeable bodies of water that the Great Lakes represent. Their thing is that freezing air that comes down unimpeded from the Pole. No real mountain ranges that I could see, not like I'm used to seeing here in Oregon anyway. Couple all that freezing air with the weather systems that seem to sweep east-north-east across the region and it does add up to plenty of snow. The drifts from the plows are over my father-in-law's head right now, with 3-4 ft in his front yard of accumulation.

4. rjny36

rjny36

Jan 29, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I live in Syracuse. It can be cold, there can be lots of snow (though we've had relatively mild winters lately--well, "mild" to us, anyway!)... it's a generally safe place. I don't recall ever feeling like I was in any danger, be it downtown or in any of the places I would care to go.

I don't know anything about the property taxes, though, because I don't own any. :)

5. taxes should be county, city, school. I know there are a few people from the Syracuse area on the boards so hopefully they will chime in. I can't honestly see how taxes would be only about $500.00 so they're must be some taxes or info that is missing. Taxes in Utica, where I was from was almost $1,400 for a house assessed at $40,000 and that was 11 years ago.

6. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Yikes! Definitely we don't have all the info then. Probably it was only one of the three. Here we don't pay county if we pay city, and school is part of city, so property tax is one number, not three. I guess I assumed that the one number posted was "the" property tax.

If it's too good to be true, it probably IS. :(

7. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    After hours of deliberation, my wife says the northeast is out.

Virginia or like area is where it's at.

I didn't know they could change their minds. . ..:eyebrow::confused::D