Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone get good fusion tone with Sansamp BDI?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SliderJeff, Apr 25, 2005.

1. SliderJeff

SliderJeff

Apr 23, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Hey guys,

I'm a bass newb who mainly plays guitar. I'd like to try my hand at working on a fusion cd where I play everything. That being said, I haven't been able to dial in a fusion tone worth a squirt with my Line6 POD (try not to groan too loudly). I also tried going directly into the the mic pre's of my M-Audio Omnistudio's (Delta 66) breakout box... but that didn't sound much better.

I'm looking for something in the fretted tone Gary Willis, Jimmy Earl, John Pattitucci vein. Smooth yet refined. I'm wondering if the SansAmp BDI is capable of approaching this type of tone? Has any here used the SABDI for fusion type tones?

For reference, I am using my Ibanez (try not to vomit directly on your keyboard's, anti-I guys) SR505 for my bass tones. This is the 1996 version with the active electronics.

Anyway, thanks for your opinions. Please feel free to offer other DI type suggestions if they are more likely to be able to approach a fusion type tone.

Regs,
    Jeff

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

For this kind of tone your best chance is to go direct, no corrections.
    Boost gain a lot and play very softly. That should do it.

3. SliderJeff

SliderJeff

Apr 23, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Jazz Ad,

So you are advocating skipping a DI box like the SABDI and plugging directly into my mic pre? Then boost the gain on the mic pre and play softly?

I know I tried going direct into the mix pre, but I don't recall boosting the gain on it over unity. I assume we are still trying to maintain some headroom though and not clip.

Thanks,
    Jeff

4. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    In my limited experience with the SABDDI, I found that even with all the knobs at 12, it still altered my sound -- made it fatter. Which, I though was pretty cool. That was going into effects loop of amp.

There are other DI boxes that are nice and clean.

5. SliderJeff

SliderJeff

Apr 23, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks, Sako.

Any particular recommendations for other DI's that might be easier to get a fusion sound? Something in a similar price range, i.e. sub $300 is what I am looking for.

Thanks,
    Jeff

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

"fusion" sound typically comes from a lot of dynamics on attack. That's why you want to boost gain. Just turn off the SansAmp and use it as a DI.

7. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    That's true. Then, when you want the tone and gain for other songs, you have the Sansamp at your disposal. Great pedal. Wish I still had mine.

8. SliderJeff

SliderJeff

Apr 23, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks guys... I don't currently own the sansamp... that's why I was asking if it can do the fusion thing. Sounds like it might be a decent pedal to get to handle my metal and hard rock type tendencies as opposed to the fusion side of things. I'll see if I can find some recordings over in the Recording forum that used the SA on them.

Thanks,
    Jeff