1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone Get Modifications Done by Mesa on their M9 Carbine?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Solitarely, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Solitarely

Solitarely

May 25, 2012
    I tried adding outer fans to blast it and vents with. It seems to be having thermal cutouts more and more frequently. I'm switching to a Jules Monique and Crest Pro Lite setup. But it'd be nice to sell my M9. Yet, if I can't get it to work more reliably I can't in good conscience do this to even the worse person ever. Hell I'd feel bad to even give it away in it's current state.

2. How old is the amp, how is it racked and what cabinets are you using???

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    By all means, send it in to Mesa if you're having any issues whatsoever - I'm sure they'll fix you right up...

IIRC, Mesa amps have a 5 year transferrable warranty - it's probably still covered... although it wouldn't be unusual for them to take care of something out of warranty, also...

- georgestrings

4. Solitarely

Solitarely

May 25, 2012
    The frustrating thing is the amp is amazing. The tube pre is extremely versatile and the digital power side is powerful and transparent. I love how it sounds but without being reliable it's become pretty useless.

5. Solitarely

Solitarely

May 25, 2012
    It's four years old in an eight unit rack powering a 2 15s fearless.

6. Try the amp out when it's outside the rack. Even a big rack like you have can restrict the cooling flow.

I assume your cabinets are presenting a 4Ω load?

7. Solitarely

Solitarely

May 25, 2012
    Correct. 4ohms. Ha, that's neat, never knew omega was available for type. Hmm, all I found was this ¥ which is pretty nifty too.

The cab is just one. It has two 15s one 6 and a tweeter.

8. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

Jul 27, 2013
    NEPA
  9. Solitarely

Solitarely

May 25, 2012
    Where's the alt button on my phone? I can copy and paste tho.

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Get with Mesa customer service and get it updated to current spec.
    You may then want to keep it.

11. +1 Don't worry about what version you have or whatever. Those heads have had LOTS of issues and Mesa knows it. I would be shocked if they wouldn't totally get that amp up to snuff for basically the shipping cost. Seems like the recently upgraded/updated models are behaving fine.

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Exactly^^^^^^

13. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Send it in, they'll fix it/get it up to current spec for free once you get it to 'em. You won't want to sell it when you get it back! They know the heating/thermal shutoff issues exist and will get you fixed up nicely.

14. On a Mac it's:
    Option z: Ω
    Option m: µ
    Option w: ∑

the rest you can work out for yourselves. :D

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

Mine was the 34th one made and went back for upgrades twice. The second time it was upgraded I had sent it in for issues that turned out to NOT have been the amps fault—yet Mesa upgraded it again.

NO CHARGE.

The head has never quit since the first return—and is my absolute favorite amp ever. I have had quite a few.

Get it fixed. Call Mesa and get a return authorization number. Have Mesa send you a shipping box. It will be worth it. It you really don't want it, I'll pay to have it shipped to me, LOL! :p

16. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Back when I played through a MB Walkabout Scout, it started heating up and would die. I called MB and got a return order for the head. They fixed the problem, installed new tubes and did upgrades to current specs at the time. They had it for three weeks and after I got it back, the MB tech called me to see how it was working for me. Great tech support and great techs.