1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone gigging a LMII and Schroeder 12+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dave_bass5, Sep 24, 2008.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Im getting rid of my 1210R because its too big for my drummers new car and hoping to get a 12R+ to replace it.
    Im not after it sounding like my 1210R, just after something loud and punchy in a very small box.
    just looking for some opinions really. I spoke to Jorg and he seems to think it will work fine with my LMII (and so do i) but as i wont get to hear or play one first i'd like to know what to expect.

Thanks.

2. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    What about the 115L? Is that too big?

3. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    I have a pair of his new Mini 12+R cabs and a MB F1. I think they sound great. I don't think you will have any problems gigging with one cab and a LMII. If you are sure that you will only ever need one small cab, I would suggest getting your Mini in 4 ohms to let the LMII run at full power. The R series 12's will take the full 500W. I think the L series speakers are rated for 400W.

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    To be honest i would prefer the 15+ but i really do need to get the smallest i can so it has to be a 1x12.

5. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Yeah, i will get the 4 ohms R version.

thanks.

6. CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    If you need smaller, Jorg also has a Mini 10+. I've also read good things about the Epi UL-110. It's just a little bit smaller than the Mini 12. It's supposed to have a much fuller sound with more bottom end than the Mini's, but probably not as punchy or as loud.

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I've never really liked 10"'s so im not really interested in those cabs. I think i need to be realistic in that while i can get smaller i dont want to sacrifice tone too much. I like 12"'s so thats why i decided on the 12+.
    Also cost and availability is an issue. i dont want to spend a lot of money (although ill sell the 1210R) and i need it quite quickly.

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
  9. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
  10. CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Understood. However, just because it's got a 12" speaker doesn't mean it's going to sound like you think. KJung commented on a thread for the Mini 115 L+ that it sounds more like a super 12 than a 15, probably due to the larger driver in a small box. Since the 112 and 115 are very similar in design, I would expect that the same sort of comparison in tone could be made (i.e. the Mini 12" probably sounds more like a super 10" than a 12"). I'm not trying to change you mind or anything (I love these cabs), I'm just trying to help describe the tone of these cabs so you know what to expect if you decide to get one.

And just to be clear, this is the cab I have. I can't comment on how the previous versions sound.
    Stack.

11. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Yeah, i know what you mean.
    the reason i dont like 10"'s is because i play with a pick and i find 10"'s can be a bit bright sounding. As it is i play with the tweeter off in my 12XX cabs.
    I might also go back to 5 string soon so for me the 12" is the better option. I gigged for almost a year with a UL115 and loved it so im not against getting a 1x15, in fact that would be ideal but like i say, its slightly bigger than the 12+ and that could make a difference.

We have our first gig with the new car this weekend and are still hoping the 1210R will fit. If it does ill still sell it and then probably get a 15L if i can get it quick enough. If the 1210R doesn't fit then ill get the 12+