1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone gigging with 3 110's or 112's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Smithberger, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I am using an Avatar B410 NEO with my Mesa Walkabout at the moment, but I would love to hear the experience of other TBers of using three small, identical, cabs in a tall stack. I usually run the 410 on top of a milk crate to cut the stage boom and get it up closer to ear level.

Photos would also be helpful.

2. Hello Joe.

I recently have been using three Aguilar DB112s with my DB750 head. I stack them on top of each other. I have been very pleased with the result. I did NOT do this for more volume, or to take advantage of the vertical alignment arrangement. I did it to hear myself better and it works great!

With two cabs, I was plenty loud enough ( my band is not all that loud and I do not go through the PA ) but the sound was going out at knee level. While it sounded great out front, all I heard was a muffled bass heavy tone that resulted in my turning up too loud or adjusting my eq in a radical way to hear it better.

By adding a third cab on top, I can now hear my bass as it really sounds and can eq. it correctly and I am running my volume much lower. I probably could have accomplished the same thing with a milk crate under the two cabs, but where would be the fun in that? ;)

I posted a photo of this stack in the "Official Aguilar" thread about a week ago. Also there is another thread dedicated to just this topic which was a big help to me deciding to try this and the proper way to hook it up. A search should find both threads easily.

At any rate, for me, this arrangement works great and I would recommend it. Just be sure your amp can handle the load of course!

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i've done it. At the moment i use bag end s15 and s12 cabs. usually just one of each but for bigger gigs i'll bring three or four cabs. in those cases i generally stack them vertically. Looks a bit silly, but sounds the best. one of these days I'd like to pick up another 12 or two.

4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
  5. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I guess I had seen that thread. Anyone using three 110's? I was kinda hoping Kenny from Mojo Sonic would chime in here. I think three of his Minis would look great with the Walkabout.

Here is my thinking...two 210's stacked vertically looks a little tippy to me. Two 210's horizontal is too short. Two 112's is too short (I had two Berg 112's for a while). So, moving from the B410, I am contemplating a vertical 212+6 from Low Down Sound (for greater mid dispersion) or a stack of three 112's or 110's like Mojo Minis.

6. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Zombie thread alert!

I am thinking about this again. Anybody running three tens vertically?

7. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I used to run 3 AE112 cabs when I needed the extra volume. One of my current rigs is a Barefaced 210 and 110 which sound very good together.

If you want to go modular then 3 110's or 3 112's is a great idea.

8. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    There are some Eden EX and TE ELF 110's out there for under $300 each. It's tempting to get three 8 ohm ones to hook up to my Quilter.

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    How about vertical 3 2x10?

10. Then buy them joe and tell us about your experience. :)

One thing to think about is the load impedance the amp sees. If the cabs are 8Ω, most likely, then the amp will see 2.67Ω. A 4Ω minimum amp would likely fail with this load. A tube amp would also not be happy either.

11. I stacked three of my Acme 2x10s vertically once. I was going to put the fourth on top of the three but I was way too short! :D

12. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    The Quilter Bass Block is fine at 2.67 ohms.

13. I have a friend that runs four of the Acme Single-10 3-ways stacked vertically as a line array, driven thru an Alembic preamp and enough power amp to push all four, and it's scary good. On a smaller scale, and 800+ over a vertical stack of the dedicated Mesa cabs should do a similar, hair-parting performance. Big sound, small footprint.

Joe Smithberger likes this.
  14. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I've found that my Barefaced cabs are so clear that I can hear every note even when the cabs are stacked horizontally.