Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone gigs with a 1x12 and a 2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Christian Houmann, Jul 4, 2005.

1. I just played two gigs this weekend with my Epifani rig. The 502 and two 1x12UL's and I really liked it.
    But I was wondering about the idea of bringing a 12 and a 2x10 to gig and see how that's like. I have a Epifani 2x10 ( 4 ohm) and I was thinking about getting a 2x10 in 8 ohm to match the 1x12 since the 502 only runs downs to 4 ohm. I like the sound af the 2x10 better than my two 1x12's actually.

The only thing is that you can't really stack the them if you want the 1x12 on the ground and the 2x10 on top :meh:
    I have see that you can do that with Accugroove and EA :spit:

Anyone gigs with this combo?

2. FR5

FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Netherlands
    Yes, I have Epi 112UL and 210UL in combination with a Glockenklang Soul top. Last Saturday I played at a venue where I come more often. On previous occasions I used just the 1x12, but this time I decided to use the 2x10. This gives me slightly more volume and lows.

Normally I only use the bridge PU, but this time I had to add the neck PU for a good solid sound. I wonder how I managed last time with just the 1x12. I guess the band as a whole played louder than before, although we didn't get any complaints about the volume (maybe because we play a lot better now?). :)

In two weeks we will play the same venue again but this time I will bring both cabs. Not only will I be able to take some heat of the Glock, but soundwise the mix of 2x10 + 1x12 give me a more flexible tone and cleaner tone than using just one of the cabs (taking the output of the amp at full blast).

I sometimes stack the 210 on top of the 112 (whatever sounds better), looks a bit weird because of the different dimensions but it's a pretty solid stack and I have no qualms putting the amp on top of that.

I hope this helps, steven

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm kind of interested to know too, as I was hoping to get a 1x12 to sit under my BAM 210. Figgered the 12 would be a good weight/size compromise over, say, a 15.

4. I've used an Avatar CB 112 under my Eden 210XLT several times.The 112 added some depth and enough volume that I would be happy playing anywhere with this rig.I've also run two of the Avatars with the Eden 210 at outside gigs and thought it was overkill.The 112/210 rig has been my favorite of any so far.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've used a Bergantino HT112 on top of a Berg HT210. Tremendous sounding rig--lots of punch with plenty of low-end.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

My main rig is Avatar 1x12 & 2x10 setup. Anything short of a metal band with no P.A. support, it's plenty loud enough. I never have my volume past 11 o'clock. My amp never even breaks a sweat. :eyebrow:

7. tom46n2

tom46n2

Jun 16, 2005
    Chicago
    What makes me curious is how you guys are telling the difference since you probably either use a direct box or have a DI on your amp. The front of house obviously has all the power to make it loud enough for the crowd but can you hear yourself on stage without distorting?

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    BTW, the Bergantino HT322 is 2-10's and a 12 in one cab! ;)

9. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Played a medium sized show last Saturday with a EA CXL-112/EA NL-210 "stack" where my on stage volume was it (ie: without PA support for bass). Plenty of volume and smooth across the frequencies.

10. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    When I don't want to bring out my Aguilar GS410 for a loud gig, I take my GS112 and GS210 and I am always more than happy with the result. I think a 210 and a 112 really complement each other quite nicely.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Like I said, I can hear myself fine. If you can't hear yourself, assuming you're pushing enough power, the rest of the band is too loud! And if you need to be that loud because you don't have P.A. support, you're asking to become deaf!! It makes more sense to invest in a P.A. then to invest in more wattage and huge cabs!

12. Thanks guys!

Do you guys stack the 2x10 on the ground and place the 1x12 on top?

13. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    turn the 210 on end and put the 112 on top.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

My 1x12 is on the bottom. I prefer that the lower frequency cab couple with the floor.

15. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I would think that the 2X10 would actually be a better "bottom" cab. More lows than the 1X12.

I've debated adding something to my Bergie HT112.

16. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I did an outdoor gig w my 2x10 and 1x12 Avatar rig (Kustom Groove Bass 1200 head) Sunday. PLENTY of volume and low end for my 5 string!

17. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    I use my two Avatars' at outdoor gigs now. SB112 and B210. Both have new crossovers' on board for the high freq. horn. Very, very good sounding cabs'. Here's a photo of said rig:

[​IMG]

With a QSC PLX-3402 giving up 1100W per cabinet, this little rig is LOUD and CLEAR...just how I like it!!!!!

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hou,

why not, use the one 1x12 for small gigs, sell one of the 1x12's, and use that money towards an UL310?

19. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I also use the Avatar SB112 and 210 setup. Killer rig that is easy on my back. I can use the cabs seperately or use them together to give me a nice, tight and punchy sound. I used to just play through the 210 but when I added the 112 it really filled my sound out. I put my 112 on the bottom and use the 210 for the mids and highs. A lot of guys here use that setup as you can see and I don't think there are any complainers.

20. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I have a Aggie GS-112 that I place on the bottom. It is the lower voiced cabinet. I then place an Avatar B210 Neo on end on top of the GS-112 cabinet so I have three speakers in a vertical line. This helps me hear myself because it is higher. I really dig the tone. I played with the GS-112 cabinet by itself for a long time. It is a loud cabinet. But I was alway boosting things around 800 Hz to cut thru. With the latest setup I have a hint of bass boost (which most Jazz basses need) and a little boost at 400 Hz. Treble to taste. At that's with a Sadowsky Jazz that I run active without any boost from the onboard preamp both pups on most the time.

Dave