Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone Give a Hang About Fret Wire?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rickbass, Apr 21, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Getting down to the details, (fretwire), on a custom, I was wondering if anyone has ever spec'd fret wire on a bass and why you chose whichever type you chose? I only had a couple of choices on my Carvin, but this time, anything is fair game.

(BTW, I've read nickel-silver frets don't actually contain silver).

Thanks in advance.

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I don't know that much about the respective materials but I do know that fatter frets slap easier and make it easier to bend notes (yeah I know that most bassists don't do that but sometimes I do). Thinner frets give you something of a vintage vibe.

3. rickbass

Dan - Do you mean fat with low profile/crowns??? I got medium jumbo on the last bass I bought and they can be real noisy if the setup is a micrometer off and you don't adjust your technique a little.

I haven't really seen anything about how the various types affect the notes.

(BTW, you're not alone. I was bending and sliding some bluesy ones in a club tonight. I'm just not sure anyone else can hear it if you or I do it live :rolleyes: )

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    That's odd because I find my 62RI Jazz bass with tiny frets is more likely to buzz a lot if it isn't set up just 'so'. I wish I could be more specific to type I just tend to look at a bass and say "oh these are big frets" or "oh these are small frets" My Fender P-Special has pretty good sized frets and I like how it plays so I will try to find out what exact size they are.

5. rickbass

Dan - That's how I USED to look at it, until I got one that sounded like a slow freight train on bad track. I took it to two tech's and each said the fret dressing job was impeccable. This was called "medium jumbo"...how's that for a meaningless term??? That's like a menu saying, "mildly spicy."

One place says a standard guitar takes about 6 ft. of fret wire! I never guessed it took that much by looking at one. I imagine that included waste.

6. My personal preference is Dunlop 6150 fret wire if I am having a bass refretted or getting a new neck. It is a jumbo size fret that has a good seat but it can be a bit noisy if the set up is off a bit, not for set and forget it fans.