1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone Give a Hang About Fret Wire?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rickbass, Apr 21, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Getting down to the details, (fretwire), on a custom, I was wondering if anyone has ever spec'd fret wire on a bass and why you chose whichever type you chose? I only had a couple of choices on my Carvin, but this time, anything is fair game.

(BTW, I've read nickel-silver frets don't actually contain silver).

Thanks in advance.

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I don't know that much about the respective materials but I do know that fatter frets slap easier and make it easier to bend notes (yeah I know that most bassists don't do that but sometimes I do). Thinner frets give you something of a vintage vibe.

3. rickbass

Dan - Do you mean fat with low profile/crowns??? I got medium jumbo on the last bass I bought and they can be real noisy if the setup is a micrometer off and you don't adjust your technique a little.

I haven't really seen anything about how the various types affect the notes.

(BTW, you're not alone. I was bending and sliding some bluesy ones in a club tonight. I'm just not sure anyone else can hear it if you or I do it live :rolleyes: )

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    That's odd because I find my 62RI Jazz bass with tiny frets is more likely to buzz a lot if it isn't set up just 'so'. I wish I could be more specific to type I just tend to look at a bass and say "oh these are big frets" or "oh these are small frets" My Fender P-Special has pretty good sized frets and I like how it plays so I will try to find out what exact size they are.

5. rickbass

Dan - That's how I USED to look at it, until I got one that sounded like a slow freight train on bad track. I took it to two tech's and each said the fret dressing job was impeccable. This was called "medium jumbo"...how's that for a meaningless term??? That's like a menu saying, "mildly spicy."

One place says a standard guitar takes about 6 ft. of fret wire! I never guessed it took that much by looking at one. I imagine that included waste.

6. My personal preference is Dunlop 6150 fret wire if I am having a bass refretted or getting a new neck. It is a jumbo size fret that has a good seat but it can be a bit noisy if the set up is off a bit, not for set and forget it fans.