Anyone go around in circles string-wise?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Well it seems my search for strings has finally ended up somewhere. I played DR Hi-Beams back in the day (about a year ago) and loved steel... I even changed strings as often as every 3 weeks to ensure that I had a fresh tone. But the steel was too trebly for my little solid state combo. Slowly I went to Fender nickels (awesome strings, BTW) and traversed the whole nickel plane for a few months. It got to the point where I was leaving nickels on for several months at a time for that thump, and finally I went to flats (Chromes, great strings as well).

And here I am today, going back to Hi-Beams! Why? I just got a tube Ampeg head, so there's no lack of low end available... and steel is just great! Unlike my solid state amp, there was never too much clank or hotness, just amazing growl. And though they are quite rough, they feel like home.

Has anyone else gone looking for a certain tone only to realize that it was the opposite that you were looking for? I got flats to compensate for the lack of low end in my amp, but I then had a major lack of high end. With my tube amp, I realized I had to get some serious strings and the Hi-Beams are it.
  2. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    After taking my TI flats off after a couple of months and replacing them with D'darrio XL's im putting them back on.
    Ive always used 105 rounds, switched to Fender nicks last year and love the tone and feel on my HW1 Jazz but in jan i tried a set of TI's and at first loved them but found they didnt cut trough on stage. so i went back to rounds and tried a set of D'darrio XL's. Had my first rehearsal with them last night and although i liked the sound couldnt believe how rough they felt. my playing was all over the place. guess i got used to the smooth flats.
    So anyway im putting the flats back on tonight and giving them a second chance.
    Maybe its just the XL's but the bass felt unplayable last night and i have lowered the action etc.
    I feel i will go back to rounds though soon