1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anyone go to gigs armed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by glocke1, Oct 26, 2013.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Been thinking about this lately…Im a gun owner, with a concealed carry license. I carry most places that I am legally able to, but not at gigs because I know chances are I'll be drinking and partying a little bit, and as a responsible gun owner I know better than to mix booze and guns..

Now, the reason that I've been thinking about this is because a local musician got attacked after a recent gig. The guy got a pretty good beat down and was in the hospital for two weeks.

90% of the gigs I play are in areas where I won't have to worry about the happening, but there are a few that are in somewhat seedy or questionable areas, and if I were going to carry anywhere it would be at these places (and naturally I wouldn't be drinking at these gigs).

2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I know several guys who do, myself included, but only as far as their transportation. they might break it out late at night when we are loading, but as far as I know they don't carry in the venue.

3. It's been years since I've had a bar gig, but I've had a concealed carry permit for a long time. I'm armed everywhere legal, which in my state includes bars, so long as I am not drinking. I've also done a lot of mercenary audio work for a production company that you've probably heard of, and there are way more console-operators carrying than you might think.

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Nah. In jersey I couldn't do so legally but to be honest after having played for many years and in some of the seediest places imaginable, I've never had a single incident that would lead me to feel it's necessary TBH.

5. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    In my mixing console is a tire iron.

That's all I will tell you.

6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Cue oniman7!

:bag:

7. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    That was his thread? He gives off this real "trying to be Macho McMacho Man" vibe.

8. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England

You shouldn't have told us.

Now we know where your tyre iron is.

9. OP, if that 10% of gigs is a worry, take the gun and cut the drinks?

I've just taken a beater bass to gigs where I've felt a bit iffy about things, that's kinda arming yourself (multipurpose instrument ;) )

10. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Yes

11. IanA

IanA

Jul 31, 2011
    Leicester UK
    I take my axe!

12. No, and I don't agree with any carry laws.

lowsound

13. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    There's another one right next to the shifter in my car, but that's all I'm telling you.

14. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England

Now we know where your OTHER tyre iron is.

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I carry a 4 ft. long piece of wood with metal bits on it around all night whenever I play out, does that count?

;)

On a side note, I once walked into a club in the less than fashionable part of town to play an open mic night and was greeted by a bouncer with a revolver in a shoulder holster. I asked him if he had to ever had to use it and he said, "Not tonight...yet." I turned around and left.

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Not allowed here in IL under our new CCW - no carry in establishments with 51% or more liquor sales.

17. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    Do I go to gigs armed? Yes.

18. If you are going to have a drink anytime that night I would advise against carrying.

19. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    It's not allowed, but I feel better out in the trailer during load out with a .25 in my pocket especially in a sketchy part of town. I've never had any use for it, but...... Most people that approach me during load out are panhandlers, or they want to bum a smoke. They still make me uncomfortable, but so far they've all been harmless.

20. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    There's another in the trunk, under the spare, along with the jack and four way, but that's all I'm telling you.