Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone go to the Donnington '03 (aka Download) festival in the UK?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by yoshi, Jun 1, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi all, just wiondering if any of you went yesterday.

I went along with 8 friends in a mini bus we hired. Although most of us were soley going for Iron Maiden, a few other bands put on some impressive shows, especiialy Marilyn Manson (think stage dancers :eek: ;) ).

There were of course a haul of crappy bands ranging from Amen to the detones, all sounding the same, getting cheers only when the screamed 'who likes Iron Maiden' or 'This is our last song'...

Overall, maiden rocked! I'll infact say that they are the best band I've seen live for reasons regarding sound quality, acuuracy and general stage antics (they were hella active for middle aged men!). Steve harris was very impressive too, demonstrating his nifty 3 and even 4 finger picking :D

Ayone else have any views on it if they went?

2. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    I SO wish i had gone, but i have exams next week, and refused to go for one day only.

Apparantly manson only played for 40 minutes ?

I would have _loved_ to see Queen Adreena again :) (i saw them a month ago at the camden palace) but according to a friend of mine, Katie Garside came on very drunk, with fresh track marks and canceled the signing. My friend said they played a very good set though, very violent :p

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Thats no excuse, I've exams this/next week too, my A-level finals! I also had 2 exams on the morning after we got back from ozzfest last year which wanst nice :D

I didnt catch that band, what kind of stuff do they play?

MM was on for about 40, after showing up about 30 mins late :/ I'm not a big fan of his, but the dancers to some of the tracks were rather saucy ;) :p ..I wish my freind videod those songs rather than filming his opening song :bawl:

4. It looked pretty good to me, but I would have only gone to see Iron Maiden really, seen most of the other bands, and I'm seeing From Autumn To Ashes and The Reunion Show on Wednesday as support to The Starting Line!

I thought Deftones were pretty good live when I saw them a couple of years ago, but I must agree that Amen are one of the WORST bands I've ever had the displeasure to watch live.

Only my opinion of course....:p

5. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    Ha ! bet they weren't as bad as cradle of filth's (yuck by the way) stage 'entertainment' at ozzfest last year :D

Queen Adreena are kind of avante garde goth glam rock. Not the best description but s'all i can think of right now

6. yeah, saw them at Reading last year. lots of energy, no songs. most notable moment= Casey Chaos throwing a marshall amp head off the stage.

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I actually liked the act they did with the people on stilts with mini blow torches and stuff at Ozzfest '02..?

Edit: Oh sorry, your from Oz (australia or US abbreviation :p?). What did the cradle of filth stage act consist of out of interest?

8. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    Oh ! It's supposed to be Oz as in wizard of oz. I'm actually from London :p

I seem to remember some girl uh, frigging (can i say that ?) herself onstage last year at ozzfest.

However i may be wrong, we had alot of, um, sweets that day.

9. Yeah, I saw them at the Leeds Festival last year...so awful. I wanna go again this year, the punk tent looks appealing, even though I have seen 6 of the bands playing it....:( :

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, yoshi.

10. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    No problem! I went to leeds festival '01 nut didnt like it, the music was too diverse for me to consider going back the next year. IT also seemed badly arranged regarding stage placement etc. Security was good though!

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hi

Im a big Fan of motercycle road racing and I just watch the German round of the WSB. Congrats England on the podium sweep and Hodgson's season. They mentioned that Toseland plays piano in a band and is playing Donnington next week, does anyone know anything abouth that?

AJ