Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone going to the UNT Bass Camp?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Monte, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Just wondering if anyone here is going to the N. Texas Bass camp in Denton next week. I'm looking forward to getting my butt kicked and learning lots from Messrs. Seaton and Bradetich.

Monte

2. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I'm not headed to Texas this year but I would like to know more about the Bass camp there. Do you have a URL for the camp?

I'm headed to the ASODB the last week of July in Ohio. I figure there will be some kids that whip me there.

Joe

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    The description ishere , but there isn't much there. Every day includes listening, theory, rhythm section work, technique with Jeff Bradetich, so it should be quality. I'll post results next week.

Well, off to bed.

Monte

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I'm going. No laughing at me!

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Newbie!!! NEWBIE!!!! BWAHAHAHA HAHAHAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha......:D

Just kidding. I got the pleasure of playing for Lynn at the Aebersold camps after I had only been playing DB for one year. He could have ripped me to shreds, but had only encouraging things to say. He's a big teddy bear. Have fun!

6. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    The program looks really neat. What are the requirements for attending, or can anyone with a bass and a few hundred bucks show up? I'd love to do a week of masterclass with Jeff Bradetich. At an age when most of my peers had pictures of Cheryl Tiegs or Van Halen on their bedroom walls, I had a picture of Jeff (no, really!). Actually if there a year that they had Glen Moore as one of the guest artists, I'd show up if I had to sell a kidney.

-dh

7. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Just back from the first day, and it was a blast. I'm too tired to write much now, but I've learned a ton and enjoyed meeting the Pac-man. Lynn complimented me on my sound (I was the only one that played without the amp) and playing on the front of the beat, but told me I needed to communicate with the rest of the rhythm section better. I just jumped in, because I had to follow him playing a great arco version of "Stella by Starlight", so I just played and went better than it expected. Tomorrow I'll solo in front of everyone and live with the shame.;)

Monte

8. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Mostly stuff I already knew from playing on the bandstand but didn't do well, like communicating whether it is going to be a 2-beat or 4 on bridges, what the ending was going to be, stuff I shoulda done when playing with a new drummer and pianist. I kinda sucked yesterday when I tried to do Autumn in New York as a fast waltz. I kept pushing the tempo where I wanted to hear it but which was faster than I could play the melody cleanly. I was disappointed as time is usually my best thing, but I'll try to redeem myself tomorrow. I actually love standing up there and having a bassist of Lynn Seaton's caliber pointing out things I could do to improve that I hadn't caught before. He commented that I often take my left hand way off of the fingerboard when playing an open string and that it would help my intonation to stay at home.

Pacman had a nice version of My Favorite things today. When he gets his doublebass technique up to speed with his ideas he will be a monster player!!

I'm liking the fingering concepts Lynn is introducing. Using pivots to go back or up a half-step really minimizes shifts. I have somewhat small hands so I'll see if it works for me intonation wise. It is nice to reach a maj 3rd comfortably.

Jeff Bradetich came in today and showed us some of his arco work-outs. I'll probably buy his video to work out with.

For our small groups, we are doing a cool bass quintet thing. Another bassist and I came up with an arrangement where she and I play the head to Ornithology over two others playing How High the Moon with the other walking. It should go well Friday.

There have been faculty concerts every night, and getting to watch Lynn Seaton play is a treat. Not only does he do the straight-ahead stuff really well, he can also hang when it starts getting outside. Great sound, phenomenal technique, and it isn't often you get to see a bassist solo with the stick 'o pain that well.

Will write more later.

Monte

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This truly has been an amazing week. Lynn's given me stuff that will fundamentally change the way I look at the Big Blonde. Because I've got so little time on the instrument (less than a year), I'm not having to abandon old DB habits (old electric habits are another story :) ), and find myself already incorporating these ideas into my playing. And it's really helped - my intonation, my left hand strenth - very cool!