Anyone gone back to a head after going modular?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ostinato, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    What were your experiences and why did you go back? Was it a pain to transport all that gear in the first place? Did you compromise on tone or flexibility?
  2. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I did. I used a rack system for several years but after lugging so much weight, I finally got sick of it and bought an Iamp800. It's very tonally flexible with its monster EQ section, 800w @ 4 ohms and at 19lbs is a real back saver. I have no regrets at all. I did a lot of shopping around and found that the Iamp had as good a tone or better (for my ears anyway) than the rack system that I was using. I dropped an easy 40+ lbs of amp weight and have "almost" the same volume. I don't play in a group that requires me to push 2000w of power, so for me it was a no brainer.
    I'm actually thinking of going even lighter with the new AI Focus Series III. It's 800+ watts and only 5 lbs!
    I'm also probably going to pick up one of the new Schroeder lightweight cabs (21012 or 410 = 55lbs) and drop my total amp weight to less than 60 lbs. These days, lighter doesn't necessarily equate to any compromise in tone or volume! Ain't technology great.
  3. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    The AI is definitely all that or all dat depending on who you are. I'm seriously thinking of dumping my rack for one of these bad boys:
  4. I dumped my rack for a Glockenklang Soul Top and/or an Aguilar DB750 depending on the venue and I never looked back. :)
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, I went from Aguilar pre/QSC power amp setup to Thunderfunk just over a year ago and never looked back.
  6. I don't know what you are using now, but the tone couldn't be much better than that Demeter.
  7. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    My profile is up to date. I can't make any complaints about the sound I'm getting out of it. ;)
  8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Went from a monster bi-amp rig to a vintage Bassman 100. Also have a GK400 that I love (and was the preamp / power amp for highs in the biamp rig).
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    not really, but i would eventually like to pick up a few heads (like a thunderfunk, an eden 550, and an aggie 750 - :p )

What i did do was go from a large rack to two 2-space racks. Ultra portable. I'd love to bring just a head, but soem of the bands i play in are LOUD, and I enjoy the headroom of having a ton of watts. Ant head i get from now on would have to be 2 ohm capable as well. I like to use several small 8 ohm cabs. The aggie 750 certainly fits the bill on both counts, but it is one of the biggest SS heads around. I'm very happy that eden updated the 300/400 seried to the 2 ohm capable 550. I miss my 400, but on some gigs it would have worked better with 3 cabs. I forget if the TF is 2 ohm capable.
  10. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Yep, in the scaling down process right now. Breaking up my 70lb rack (my fourth one!) and going "UL".

Why not, right? I mean,

* The technology is up to speed.
    * There are lots of choices.
    * The $$ numbers make sense.
    * I'm not getting any younger, are you? LOL :D
  11. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Not really "going back" because I'm keeping the rack, about 40 Lbs, for louder gigs. But on my second rig I was making a duplicate of the 1st until I ran into a new love....100w smaller than....only 13.5 Lbs

p.s. not my picture, borrowed from net...
  12. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    I had a Korg / BBE Bmaxt-T / Crest Lt100 setup in a road case, and just recently Scaled way down to just an Ashdown ABM EVO-II 500, and am pleased as punch. I have the sound I could never get before, don't miss the extra power all that much, and my rig is probably 50-60 lbs lighter, and I'm so much happier as a result...

I'm even thinking about eventually ditching the head altogether and going to just a Programmable Sansamp BDDI and AI Focus SA, which will bring my "big" rig to a whopping 80lbs total including my 410 cabinet!!!
  13. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Anyone else want to chime in?
  14. vroc38

vroc38 Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2006
    I went from an Ampeg SVPCL and QSC PLX1602 to a Thunderfunk. There were two reasons: 1. My 20 year run with Ampeg needed to come to an end, and 2. The weight. I now have a Carvin B1500 for those rare occasions where more power or 2 ohm capability is needed. I'll probably be selling off the rack rig, and don't see myself going back anytime soon. Unless the Thunderfunk preamp materializes...
  15. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I went from a BBE Bmax-T and Mackie 1400i to a GK 1001RB-II, and I couldn't be happier. Not having to deal with all the weight is great, and I don't really notice much headroom loss. I don't think I'll ever go back to a pre/power rig, but then again I said my next amp was going to be an all tube head.
  16. RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Nice amp, AND you win the award for BIGGEST pic on TB ever! :)
  17. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I dumped a rack rig for a Little Mark II. >50lbs to 6.5 just made too much sense.

I miss being able to pick up a new preamp every time I feel like a new sound, and I feel like I might be missing out on a lot of cool gear.

On the other hand, my head fits in the front pocket of my gigbag, and sounds great every time I play, so I can't complain I guess. I believe I've made a comprimise for the better.
  18. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    My one rack system was a Carver PM 1400, ART Tube Channel, and Furman power conditioner. In the end: too big, heavy, ugly. Confusing too. I had it at church & everyone kept unplugging it because of the indicator light (on the Furman) was still on when powered down. Ditched it for an iAmp 800.

19. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I have used Ampeg and Ashdown preamps, and Carvin and Mesa power amps, now using Fender 400PS. It's older, larger, and heavier than my old rack setups. Infinitely cooler.
  20. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5

Thats what I have done too, is go to two smaller racks. I found that I love my rack tuner, so I have one three space short rack, with my tuner and my WT-405 Eden, and another 3 space short rack, with my Carvin DCM2000 power amp. I only need to bring the power amp in for bigger gigs. Both racks have all the cords and hookups permanently built in, or stored inside for each set-up. Then I only have to schelp in whatever cabs are needed for the situation. Makes for a very versatile rig this way. I just found the 6 space rack, way too heavy, and not needed for 75 percent of the work. Nice to have a cab 'selection' to use for each job too.