1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone gone from 100-45 to 95-40 D'addario Chrome flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Jul 28, 2012.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    By the 4th set in the night my fingers are getting a bit tired, sometimes due to the tension of the 100-45 flats, especially if I havent giged in a couple of weeks. Love the sound and feel of the chrome flats on my Jazz bass.
    I want to try the lighter gage version, but I dont want to loose any of the tone I have already with the 100-45 Chromes, anyone tried the 95-40? Any weaknesses with the lighter gage?

2. BLDavis

BLDavis Old enough to know better.....too young to care! Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    Give the ECB84 set a try. Gauged 40-60-80-100. They still have the beef in the A and E strings with a bit less tension on the D and G. They feel and sound very balanced to me.
    B.

3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I actually have both the 40-95 and the 45-100 strung on basses ... it kind of depends on the age, and how far they have settled in, but in a band mix I notice very little difference in terms of sound, and the lighter are a bit easier on the hands ... if anything, the little nuances show up a bit better using the lighter gauge .. I also have a set of the Custom mentioned 40-60-80-100, but have not had the chance to string them up yet on anything ...

4. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks guys

Didnt know they made a 100-40 gauge. Its really the D and G that I'm feeling the tension late in the night. My local music store has the 95-40 in stock. Might give them a shot, as long as I dont loose that "Beef" down low.. I hate taking the time to break them in tho, mine now have a good year on them and you cant put a price tag on that :(

5. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    They start to sound great after a while. I've had them for a while (about 2 months on the bass) and they are sounding better and better.

I got the 45 - 100 set, felt the E&A were 'mushy' compared to the D & G, and the scooped tone wasn't great, switched to Roto 77's (45 - 105's) great tone, they broke in after a week, great mids... they're too taut for bridge play - gave the chromes another try... got some very low action and started again. Two huge improvements: 1. strings play much more even with lower action, 2. rethinking EQ and tone got me where I wanted to go... and as the strings break in more I need to do less dialling to get a great tone. Sweet strings. :bassist:

6. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I'm doing the low action thing as well with these strings, they sound great and play better with the lower action. Its just the high tension last night with the D and G strings that's really getting my plucking fingers, especially with all the funk lines with the fast licks.. still on the fence with trying the lighter gauge? Might just lower the D and G action some more and I should also work out my right fingers?

7. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    In my very limited experience with fast licks, the trick to playing them effectively is to play lightly and fluidly. Lower action will definitely help with that, up to a point (when they bottom out).

8. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    On my 57 RI P bass I have tried several things. I settled in the chrome .40-.95. They are clean, clear, and nicer to play on than anything else. Not lacking for punch and low end either. I have been a .45-.100 guy all my bass playing life and I prefer that gauge in rounds but I say for the price it surely any hurt to try them.

9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... kind of what Mr Watson says is what I was trying to imply earlier ... when I am using the Peavey amp at our practice space, I always use the 40-95's to help get a clearer, more articulate sound, and sometimes we go on there for 3-4 hours with no break ... when I am playing out with the GK400/800RB and Hartke 10's, I have a cleaner sound to begin with, so I usually am using the 45-100's ... as mentioned, it also depends how broken in and settled the strings are ...

10. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Tried all the chromes sets and started from Medium working my way down to Super Light (40-95). All my gauges are now 40-60-75-95. There is no loss of anything with lighter gauges, only a gain in clarity, as others have stated. Thicker gauges tend to be darker, but sometimes it might sound muddy to ones ear. I set up all my basses with high action and the Chromes sound good regardless of the setup. I would think pickup height has more to do with it.

11. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Put the 95-40 on my Schecter Jazz, which is my main bass. Feel great and they sound like the 100-45 when they were new but with a lot less tension... so its time to do some breakin' in!
    I hear what you guys are saying about the clarity. My Schecter now sounds like my Hamer Jazz 2-tek which is a brighter cleaner sounding bass to begin with and has a fairly fresh set of 100-45 chromes. So far so good!

12. psp742

psp742 Washburn above others.

Jun 4, 2012
    Morganville, NJ
    thanks for the info... i might change to lower guage strings too after i wear out my DR Neons Hi-Def green (45 65 85 105), second set of DR Neons set and GHS bass boomers.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I hate anything heavier than 40-95. Half the reason I use Chromes is their availability in light gauges, although I'm still waiting for those short and medium scale Chromes sets that D'addario said would be coming out last January...dang it!

14. makkE

makkE

Jan 19, 2010
    Normandie, France
    I played the 105-50, the 100's and the 95's.

Of these, I liked the 100's the least. Can't really pinpoint why, but they had the most uneven feel and tone of these.. could have been the set though, who knows.

The 95's are very nice to play and still deliver good fat tone.
    I used the 105's when I played drop D.

15. I really enjoyed the set of 40-95 +132 I had on my Squier Standard Precision V (Jazz electronics). Sounded and felt fantastic.