Anyone gone from an Aguilar DB750 to Epifani UL502?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andy Will, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Hi Bass Folks!

I've been using my Aguilar DB750 for a couple of years but for a couple of reasons, quite fancy moving to something else. Just curious really if anyone here has actually traded in their Aggie for an Epifani UL502 (or 902 ;)). Alternatively does anyone own/use both?
    I know they should 'technically' be very different beasts, but am considering the changeover in the next couple of weeks.

Also curious about user's cab choices for quite load rock pop, along with fusion kind of playing.

Any advice/experience greatly appreciated!

2. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    I'm considering unloading all my Ampeg gear for Aguilar gear. Specifically, a DB750/GS410/GS212 set-up. I also play the same basses you play. What is it about the tone/sound that's making you consider switching? Do Aguilar and Warwicks make a good combo? Thanks...
  3. Since you aren't getting many I am with something that's close! I've recently played through a DB750 at Tom's house, and remember a number of posts from, I believe Tommix, and maybe SMASH (not sure) regarding the fact that the Thunderfunk550 will get you 80% of the way to a DB750 in 2 rack spaces and 16 pounds. With my extensive experience gigging with the TF550, and my limited music store and GTG experience with the 750, I think the Thunderfunk would probably be the best 'light, small' head to swap out for the DB750 if that's the way you are heading.

You aren't going to get the thunderous lows and massive headroom of the 750, but the TF550 can sound very warm and punchy and 'tube-warm' and is plenty loud. Quite frankly, I like the tighter low end and the very, very powerful tone control options of the TF550 vs. the big Ag.

I have never tried the Epi head, but all the posts describe it as very clean and almost hi fi (although that's second hand memory... I could be wrong).... which is not what the DB750 is about.

So... a Thunderfunk might get you close to the tone you like in about 1/4 the weight, 2/3's the size, and you'd have enough money left over between selling your DB750 and buying the TF to keep you in strings for the year!

Edit: Just noticed you asked about cabs for loud pop/rock/fusion... The Thunderfunk is one of those amps that sounds very nice with every cab I've tried it with (versus, for example, the Focus, WW, and iAmp800 that IMO can sound great through some cabs and just OK through others). The Thunderfunk sounds GREAT with the Epi401UL... very light and loud and very articulate, and also through the Schroeders.... the mediums are what I'm familair with, although I have a 21012Light on the way. The Schroeders are more 'mid punchy' and tight, versus the more open and 'pristine' Epi410UL. The TF sounds GREAT with Berg cabs also.
  4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Andy, I think one of the reasons you're not getting a lot of responses is because of the way you put your question. What you're asking is the equivalent of, "I am driving a pickup truck and am thinking about trading it in for a Honda Accord. What do you think?"

The Aguilar and the Epifani, to my ears, sound absolutely nothing alike. If you would like to keep the same tone, but trade down in expense and weight, my opinion is that KJung is absolutely right. If you want to totally change the way you sound, then the Epifani might be more up your alley. You have to let us know more about why the 750 is no longer your cup of tea before we can give an opinion about what to do.
  5. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    The things concerning me with the Aguilar (though I really love it for the main part) are:-
    1) The Weight (can't afford the gym membership with the cost of this gear haha! ;) )
    2) Reliability, which I know should be excellent, but have had a few problems that have made me really nervous about whether it will work properly.
    3) The fact is has knocked out the power in 3 venues, plus a recording studio during start-up due to the huge current intake.
    4) The low end hasn't been as focussed as I would like on the last few gigs (though I know a different cab set-up could improve this).

This is definately not meant as an Aguilar-bashing thread cause I know they make a superb product. Just have had some bad luck with my particular DB750, so its time for some experimenting my amp set-up.

The basic sound I need comes very strongly from my Bass and fingers already, so the main thing I need is a tight low-end with clear harmonics and plenty of headroom.
    Think the Epifani appeals initially due to the power, weight, reviews of the sound and the looks too.

Am interested in people's thoughts before I make any trips to the dealers here in Holland or make any purchases I may regret later. Plus, we dont have dealers for a lot of the newer names in Bass gear here like Accugrove, Shroeder, Bergantino etc. so can't try any of these out without a trip to another country unfortunately.
  6. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    With the Warwicks, I can almost guarantee you'll love the sound of the Aguilar rig! I've just had some bad luck with my particular one so am looking to see if something suits me just a little better or differently. Am sure you'll be very happy with that set-up!:)

Chances are I'll keep using the DB750, but just want to experiment a little while I have the opportunity.

7. With this additional info, I feel even stronger that the TF550 is probably among your best options... i.e. to reduce weight, get rid of those 'power on' spikes, and to tighten up the low end while still being able to stay within the general sound of the 750 versus the much more hi fi sound (per reviews... not direct experience) of the Epi.
  8. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI

The Thunderfunk gets you 80% of wat your getting with the DB750, and it sounds like that extra 20% is something you don't want anyways (massive, wide low end). The Thunderfunk should be perfect for you!
  9. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Would be curious to try the Thunderfunk out, but really don't know where hear one here in the Netherlands.
    Also concerning the Epifani, a little more Hi-fi sound and clarity might actually suit me better as long as there is plenty of low end and punch.
  10. Cool. Good luck on your search. Lot's of great sounding small stuff out there. The EdenWT550 or 800(b) is another great head that will keep you in the DB750 sound 'universe' but not break your back, if you can get those in your neck of the woods.
  11. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Andy, the other name that came to mind with the description of what you want is Acoustic Image. The Focus might be right up your alley: tight, light, and more modern sounding than the 750. And, best of all, they have a dealer in the NL.

Atelier voor Contrabas, Lucas Suringar
    Chagallweg 70 1328LH Almere
    The Netherlands

I really recommend you give them a try before you make your mind up.
  12. +1 on that also... very warm and full sounding for its size and weight, and a great company also. I don't find it has quite the mid punch of other amps with more traditional design, but for 5 pounds or so and 800 watts... what's not to like!
  13. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Thanks for the tip! Still mainly drawn to the looks and simplicity of the Epifani though. As unfortunately image/design is still important to me and the vision of an Acoustic Image on top of a speaker stack in bigger venues doesn't work for me.

I know that sound bad, but same as we choose our Basses cause we like the looks as well as the sound.
    Is ashame a lot of amp designers are still missing out on this all important factor otherwise some of the great designers across here in Holland and Europe would be doing much better. Best example of this being the new Sadowsky amp which looks and should sound superb but the Dutch designer/co-designer involved had only a small (but very happy) fan-base prior as they didn't I.M.H.O look so great.
  14. The Epifani UL-502 is phenomenal...... ;)
  15. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    Hey thanks a lot, and good luck with your experiment!:bassist:
  16. FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Hi Andy,

I play Epifani 502UL, and I live relatively close to you. If you wanna try out the Epi just drop me a PM and we can see if we can meet up.

17. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

I like the Epifani 502, it has a great sound, slightly compressed, warm and clear. I would like one to run my DB through.