1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone good with photoshop willing to lend a hand?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by clutebass, Dec 7, 2011.

1. clutebass

clutebass

Jan 15, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Hey all. If this is the wrong forum for this I apologize. My band is looking into getting some stickers made and the idea we have isn't something I can handle, despite being the one who does most of these things. Basically, our band is called Pope Griswald (Pope Griswald). We want to use the Pop Rocks logo and add an E to the end of Pop so that it reads "Pope Rocks." I have attached the rough version I attempted but am not happy with the choppiness of the outline. I know there are few people in here who can probably make this happen for us, and hopefully for free. Have at it guys and hopefully we can find what we are looking for in this great community of musicians. Feel free to start from scratch with any Pop Rocks logo you might find online as well. The one I attached is just so you get an idea of what we are after. Thanks!

-Michael

View attachment untitled.bmp

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    if i wasn't at work id give it a shot.
    doesn't look too difficult. someone here im sure will have some free time handy.

3. First off you need to use a the pop rocks logo at at least 150 dpi, preferably 300 dpi or it will look crappy no matter what the outline looks like.

4. clutebass

clutebass

Jan 15, 2010
    Cincinnati
    see... told you I didn't know what I was doing! why exactly does 150 or 300 dpi make a difference?

5. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Print, like film photography, is waaaaaaaay more "high rez" than digital. Print is real world, which has a "resolution" at the mocluecular level. Pixels on a screen don't stand out because nothing smaller is next to them for comparison. Pixels on paper in the real world will stand out like a sore thumb. 300 dpi should be considered a minimum for print. 150 dpi in print is obviously digitized to most eyeballs. And "obviously digitized" also says "amateur"

6. clutebass

clutebass

Jan 15, 2010
    Cincinnati
    thanks for the tech talk. this is stuff I just didn't know. Anyone going to take a stab at this for me?

7. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    First off, before you sink any $$ into getting these stickers made, have you looked into whether you are violating any Trademark laws by altering the "Pop Rocks" logo for your band's purposes?

8. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    As long as you're not selling candy to children you should be fine.

It's just a sticker right? Heck you could probably parley this into a pop rocks endorsement deal , free candy at gigs etc...

"Pope Rocks , tastier than a Beringer designed human heart "

9. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    What you are asking to be done for free is actually a marketable skill that people make a living at. My contract rate is $60/hour. PM me if still interested:D

It might be most practical to find an art student and offer them some cash.

You should probably contact the printer and ask what file format they prefer - they may have more use for a PDF than a JPG, for example. ( also, printers often have the in house expertise to do theses logo design as well -for extra of course)

10. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    I'll do it for $55/hr.

:D

(Just joking, mambo, to reinforce your point.)

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This is a great example of bad advice.

I'd do some checking into copyright infringement and trademark violations.

12. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    +1. Just imagine if someone came on and asked for someone to write songs for their band, for free. I doubt it would be met with a lot of positive responses.

I understand if you are on a limited budget--who isn't?--but I think if you can offer something to make it worth an artist's while, you'll get more interest.

BTW, you'd be better off asking for someone with skills in Adobe Illustrator (or another vector/graphics program), not Photoshop.

Good luck!

13. I don't think this is quite the same thing as asking someone to write songs for you as a favor.

What I believe he understood his request to be was fairly limited to "cleaning up a jpg." With PS skills, time and the inclination, that's not a big deal and is something that, on a forum like this, some number of people are probably going to be willing and able to do.

And strictly speaking, while a vector file is "proper" and preferable, some smallish run of stickers could certainly be done in a passable way with a decent jpg.

14. ChrisB2

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    It doesn't matter what you ask a stranger to do for free, you should be prepared for some nasty retorts, especially when it's something people do to earn a living. It really shows a disrespect for the value of their skills and abilities. The guy admits he can't do it, but he wants it done, so it obviously has value to him... he just wants something for nothing.

By the way, I wonder if someone would mind swinging by my place and scrubbing a toilet? With some time and inclination, it's not a big deal. :D

15. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Sorry, I dont want to get too off topic and harp, but, being a professional designer, I see this along the lines of playing for free with your band.

Yes, this request is fairly simple...though, for best results the whole thing should probably be redrawn in vector format. 15 years ago I would have done it for you lickety split free of charge but these days time is money.

16. Fact of the matter is that in forum communities, requests for Photoshop help are pretty common.

Photoshop and Illustrator (though to a lesser degree) are programs that some people enjoy using sometimes just for skill honing or just to see the results of their handiwork.

If you could find people that like to clean toilets for fun, then you might be in luck :)

17. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    +1
    There are plenty of efforts I undertake in life for personal satisfaction. If photoshop were one of them Id do it, no problem. Then again, I havent taken the time and effort to master the craft and make a living from it, so I also see how those who do can see requests like this as "insulting". If it were something I could help with, and I had the time, I wouldnt mind lending a hand.

18. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I actually have no objection to someone else doing it for free (you get what you pay for), just me doing it for free. As a professional, my time is worth money.

19. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    So,does that mean your in the I don't play for free camp?

20. ChrisB2

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Look, this work has value. If all these crappy bands ... er... designers go around play... um. Doing graphic work for free, it cuts paying gi.. jobs for the ban.. artists who are trying to make a living with their mu.. graphic work... ??

:D