1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone got a Epifani 3x10/Thunderfunk 550 setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RIM Basses, Dec 20, 2006.

1. RIM Basses

RIM Basses Custom Basses from the UK

Aug 6, 2006
    Luton Town
    Hi There,

Im interested to know if anyone has either a Epifani 310UL /410UL with a Thunderfunk 550-B setup. Asim interested in the Epifani cabs and have a thunderfunk on order.

Cheers,

Robbie.

www.rimcustombasses.co.uk

2. TBer Vision uses that exact rig at the moment, and I have some familiarity with it also:D I had the pleasure of hearing it out front a few times over the past couple weeks (with both a Celinder Update and a Cirrus), and let me tell you, it sounds GREAT.... lot's of low end if you want it, but very articulate, quick, clean and precise. It's a GREAT funk/pop/jazz rig... very light and loud.

If Vision doesn't show up here, PM him regarding his settings, etc. It sounds GREAT, and is about the lightest medium size but loud rig you can get!

3. RIM Basses

Aug 6, 2006
    Luton Town
    Cheers for that bud

4. I see in your profile you are using a Jazz-type instrument. If that is true, you will REALLY like that rig. The Thunderfunk is quite mid present, and while very clean, does a great job accurately translating the classic J 'growl' in a live situation. The EQ of the TF is amazing also. The Epi310UL has quite a 'wide' sound... a higher ratio of low end to mids versus other EpiUL cabs IME. That is actually a good thing, since the TF Timbre control can match the voicing of the head to the cab very nicely. With my 410UL, which has the opposite ratio... more mid present to lows, I put the Timbre a very small touch to the left to voice the head a little to the low end. With the 310UL, I believe Jason voices the head just slightly to the upper mids and treble, putting the Timbre control just slightly to the right (I'm sure he will jump in here and clarify later today). It really sounds good.

The other thing you will notice IMO with the TF is that the enhance control is very good... not nearly as extreme as the similar Eden control. It is very subtle, and can be used to just slightly open up the tone of the amp, depending on the room and volume you are playing.... lot's of nice, subtle mid sculpting in the 9 to 10 o'clock region of that control.

Finally, the switch is kind of cool. Dave has just put a new description of how it works on the site, and that matches my experience with it perfectly. At low volumes, you can't really hear any difference between the two settings. However, as you push the amp, the SS setting keeps the amp crisp and clean, whereas the tube emulation setting starts to warm and fatten the tone at higher volumes. Nice.

5. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    Yeah, I think you know a thing or two about that rig...;)

I definitely would recommend it! It's an extremely versatile rig that can cover alot of ground. Like Ken said, if you're playing funk, r&b, pop, gospel, or jazz it is the perfect setup. I love the fact that even at really loud volumes that rig will retain its great tone. The Thunderfunk has tons of clean headroom, and it matches up great with the very efficient Epifani cabs. One other great thing (for my tone preferences) is that rig can sound VERY warm, (like a nice tube pre) while still having really quick response and articulate high end - not mushy sounding at all. It's really hard to find a setup that has that buttery warmth in the low mids while giving you a touch of clean sizzle when you need it on the top. The Thunderfunk/Epi 310UL setup does it!

6. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    +1...and I'll add that the Thunderfunk can translate that "J growl" at ALL volumes. Whether you're playing a jazz type bass in a jazz trio setting or in a 10 piece band playing loud r&b/funk. It just gets it done!

7. RIM Basses

Aug 6, 2006
    Luton Town
    Cheers Jason,

Ive been running a Mesa 400+ for a while and want to go to a more compact rig, also the faster response will help me.I play mainly progressive rocks stuff in my band but love all things Jazz and this rig will be great in helping me hear the true sound of my custom Basses. So it looks like I'll be getting the Epifani 310UL from Enrico at woodandtronics.

Cheers guys,

Robbie.

8. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nice...load-in for gigs will definitely be alot easier with the TF/310UL setup...that cab is just big enough that you can put the TF on top with your bass on your back and roll into the club with the castors in one easy trip!

Be sure to let us know what you think about the setup!

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Dude, You keep saying how great the rig is. I think the player is pretty good too! You guys sounded most excellent last week. And yes the bass sounded phat. And I noticed that warmth thing, very old school and very cool.

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I run a UL410 (and occasionally a UL210) with my T-Funk TFB-420. Warm, but clear and very even across the frequency range. AWESOME rig!

11. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Thanks! It's not hard to sound good when you're playing with a keyboard player and drummer as great as those guys are!

12. KUMS

KUMS

Dec 27, 2005
    I use the 310 with a TF550 for R&B and funk. I still can't believe how good it sounds on stage. The cab is really smooth with plenty of low end that doesn't overpower (unless you want it to), and the highs are very crisp and clean without being harsh.

The TF is just WOW! I could take all the knobs off except the Timbre and Enhance. It's amazing how I go from room to room and don't change any settings on this thing, it just sounds good!

13. +1 I have yet to use the four band semi-parametric mids or the treble control. I sometimes add a slight touch of bass, depending on the room, the cab, and the bass, but everything else is done with the Timbre and Enhance, and like you, I can go many gigs is quite different sounding rooms without changing anything.

The Thunderfunk is a very unusual combination of (IME) the most advanced, complex and powerful EQ section of any integrated head I've ever experienced and the total lack of needing to use 90% of it, given the wonderful inherent voicing of the amp with everything set 'flat' :bassist:

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Another happy TF/EPI-310UL user here. I've been using the TF for about two years now, and the UL-310 for 9 months.

I can only add to other peoples praise for the setup, it's a lot of great sound and power in a very easy to transport package.

Like the other guys, I most commonly use the Timbre knob and maybe some bass or mids adjustment depending on the room.

15. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Great guys , now i have a major GAS-attack ....

:D

16. Hi guys,
    I keep on hearing and reading only good things about the TF, but is it also useful for more rock oriented music?...a loud drummer...distorted guitars and so on.
    I've been playing the aggie DB750 the last couple of years, great sound but the weight is just killing me - can't stand it any longer - so I'm considering the TF. I listened to a few clips on basstasters.com and liked what I heard.
    Does the TF make a good replacement for the DB750?
    Since I can't test the amp I would have to rely on other people's opinions.
    thanks a lot.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ul310 user here, only I use an epifani head, but its pretty comparable to a TF IMO. Different mojo going on with each amp but the 310 rules, thats the bottom line. I will never get another cab for shows. (I will however be buying a small cab for practice).

18. Quite a number of posts about this. Some say the TF can sound pretty close to the DB750. While it is very loud (and wonderfully small and lightweight), I just can't quite see it.... the tone of the DB750 can, as you know, get very tube bloomy in the low end, and very tube warm in general to my ear. While the TF is not sterile at all, and is, in a certain sense 'warm' sounding, it has absolutely no tube 'bloom' or looseness at all.. the low end is just tight as a drum.

I prefer that sound myself, but in no way will it keep up with the massive volume of that lead sled DB750 (it won't keep up with the similarly powerful Glock Heart Rock)... you have to get something for that extra 25 pounds and extra rack space!

However... if you aren't cranking the DB750 to its full potential, you might be happy as a clam. Tommix posted some EQ settings that will emulate the DB750 sound (without the tubiness, of course). So, if you feel you aren't pushing the 750 to it's max, and find that the tube sort of low end is a little too big and loose for you, you might love the TF.

If, on the other hand, you like the very tube-like sound of the 750, the MesaMpulse600 might be a smaller, lighter alternative. It's two spaces.. about 10 pounds heavier than the TF, but still MUCH lighter than the 750, and has that very warm, big, fat tube tone voiced to be 'tube clean' like the 750 (IMO of course)... and into 4ohms it's a VERY loud 600 watts.

19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I replaced a 750 Aggie with an Eden 550 WT. I personally think this and the Thunderfunk are the best "workingman's" gigging heads on the market. Ken (KJung) and I have done numerous A/B shootouts between the two heads. The TF is a little quicker and punchier the Eden is a little warmer and tubey. Both sound great with Epi light weight cabs, and both sound good flat. The Eden has a little more naturally pronounced mid range bump. The only caveat about the Eden is it doesn't seem to like smaller Schoeder cabs, some may disagree, but Ken, Mikebass and Vision and I all frowned:( when we heard that combo! The TF on the other hand seems to work well with Schoeders. The bigger Edens are killer as well and a WT 800B would kill with most rock bands. Sorry to derail a little.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    +1

despite the nicely voiced and versatile semi para EQ section, with just the timbre and enhance knobs, its amazing the amount of tones you can find.

also, the TF/UL310 setup was most awesome for my outdoor gigs. during last summer's tour, i got to hear our opening act use my rig a few times, and from the audience side, with minimal PA support, that rig was incredibly warm and fat. i remember one show @ columbia u in front of the main library, where we had some notoriously bad PA support. but the TF/UL310 setup sent wave after wave of thick bass with plenty of power against a ridiculously loud fender twin reverb.

the UL410 is another nice option if you really need its stupid loud capability, but for most mortals, the UL310 is a terrific balance of volume, weight, and carry.