Anyone got a transcripton for "River People"?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Tzetze, Jan 31, 2003.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    " Anyone got a transcripton for "River People"?

Oh man.... i WISH.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - I have it in a magazine, thanks!! ;)
  3. Anyone got a transcription of "River People" and would like to share it with us lesser mortals?

(Bruce, this means YOU! ;) )
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How - it's in Bass Player Mag I think - I don't have a scanner and it's in a huge pile of books somewhere in my flat??!!

You could try BP back issues?
  5. Ah, so sorry, no scanner would make things tedious indeed.

/me holds out for a URL
  6. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    To get you started on it:

First off, it's all octaves. The initial bass pattern is E, D and then E, D, A, G. repeat lots. The fills and variations on the pattern I can't recall off the top of my head, and I have no bass with me right now.

The out-groove section that they solo over is:

F - D - Eb - Ab - F - D - Eb

F - D - Eb - F - D - Eb

They go back and forth between those two sets of changes, the second one is where he holds the low F (first fret E string) over the bar.
  7. Thanks mate.. I had the first part down, but the change half way through the tune was giving me some trouble.

I'll probably have the song down before the book I just ordered from Amazon gets here, lol. Worth buying the book for all the other tunes in there, though.

I'm going to have to settle for only playing half the notes that Jaco does. How the hell does he do that octave stuff so damn fast!? :confused:
  8. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Lot's of practice and you'll get there. This song was one of my next challenges for myself once I owned "What is Hip?"; which has some fast 16th note octave stuff in it... but the whole song isn't based around that idea. :)
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

its a pretty straight forward shouldn't need this transcription.

the tricky thing about that song is keeping up the doubled octave hits, that takes stamina.

I tested a theory of my friend's with this song. He theorized that if you get caught up into a groove to such an extent where you just sit there spacing out and playing it for 30 minutes straight or more, eventually you will fall into a trance, and then you will awake from the trance with the thing you were playing so ingrained in your brain you will be able to play it anywhere any tempo anytime....It worked for me...I can play the river people double octaves till the cow comes home.(of course its still a work-out)

Another one of his theories was that rather than drilling a passage into your head, realize what it is that you are doing and train your body to like doing it, so instead of thinking "oh I gotta do such and such changes" make it like "YES! I get to move my hand in such and such ways, and that pleases me"
    make your playing into a Boon for your life, that way you will be able to practice for as long as you want simply because you like doing certain patterns and stuff.