Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone got a Yamaha BBNE2 or Fender AmDlx V QMT?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikefish07, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Does anybody have either of these and can they give me some feedback? I'm going back and forth between the two and I'll be buying either blind since I have to special order them. I have an older nathan east and like it but my hands are on the small side and a wide neck will hamper my playing. Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    How about anyone with a Fender Jazz AmDlx V FMT or a Yamaha BB2005?

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    A few TBers have the FMT, just wait a bit for their replies, I've played a FMT for a bit, don't own one though, it was a bit too new agey for me, not like the traditional Fender sound, but then again I didn't really spend time messing with the knobs tweaking the sound, just wanted to see how it was so yanked it off the rack, they certainly are beautiful though, I'm sure I could've gotten the vintage Fender sound if I tried around for a bit, but the price tag was a bit too steep for me too.

4. ArnoldoAC

ArnoldoAC

Aug 23, 2003
    London
    Hi,

I have an Fender American Jazz Bass Deluxe V, and both Yamaha Nathan East models. I do think, the Nathan East's, especially the new one...BBNE2 is a much better bass in every way: quality, playability, sound versatility (can sound very modern and hi fi, midrangy, or very traditional as well). That is just my opinion. Haven't had any quality problems with both NE's.

5. ArnoldoAC

ArnoldoAC

Aug 23, 2003
    London
    By the way, I never use the Jazz bass at all, it was just part of a trade. Even though I have Fodera's, etc., I do use the BBNE2 a lot. Great for recording. If you want a jazz style bass better save for a Sadowsky, totally different quality from Fender. The Yamaha's even though they are production basses have very high quality standards, even better than Pedulla for example.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have the FMT 5 and a high-end TRB. I think you'll find the build quality noticeably higher on the Yamaha. However, I gig my Fender more often than the Yamaha, just because the Yammer weighs 10 pounds. I don't know how much the NE2 weighs. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the Yamaha.

7. ArnoldoAC

ArnoldoAC

Aug 23, 2003
    London
    Hi,

Yes, the Yamaha TRB's are EXTREMELY heavy. However, the BBNE2 is much lighter. They are made from different core woods. The BBNE2 is made from alder and the TRB is made from Northern or Hard Ash (not the swamp, which is lighter). I had 2 of the new TRB's my self, but not the P models. I have never tried them and am just curious how good are them and how different do they sound from the normal bolt on models?

Arnoldo

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    How good? The workmanship is superb (see new pic above). This is the only neck-through and the only Yamaha I own, so I can't make a valid comparison with other Yamahas. Compared to my Laklands and Fenders, the tone is very smooth and refined ... a lot like what you hear from Nathan's basses. It also has more sustain than most of my bolt-ons. If it didn't weigh so much, it'd see a lot more gig time. As it is, I only play it at gigs that end before 10 p.m. (I just can't bring myself to saddle up with it at 12 a.m., going into that last set.)

9. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Hi ArnoldoAC and Munjibunga!
    I've been searching for anybody that could give me an opinion about these basses. Thanks for your feedback! I haven't decided what to get since I'll have to buy the bass blind because the dealers say I need to special order them. I know the Fender Am. Dlx FMT/QMT is cheaper but if the neck is the same as the American Jazz V, it feels alot wider than the Yamaha BBeast that I have now. I have short fingers so I need a neck that not too wide. I think I would like the neck through and individual bridge saddles of the Yamaha but the Fender 18volts active circuits sound good too. Any additional advice you can give me is much appreciated!!!

10. ArnoldoAC

ArnoldoAC

Aug 23, 2003
    London
    Hi,

I see you own the Yamaha BBEAST as well and you like the neck better than the Fender (I also own the BBEAST as well and like it better). Well, if you have small fingers/hand, you will like the BBNE2 even better as it has narrower string spacing than the BBEAST (and TRB's by the way). So I think the NE2 should be very confortable for you. By the way, aside from the things you said you liked about the bass, the preamp of the BBNE2 is MUCH better than the one on the BBEAST, better sounding, MUCH quieter, and much more versatile. Hope this helps, both the BBEAST and BBNE2 were special orders for me as well and never plan to sell them, especially the NE2.

Arnoldo

11. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Thanks ArnoldoAC, I just sent you an e-mail also thanking you for the feedback. I can't believe why there aren't other owners of the BBNE2 on this forum. The features seem outstanding and it looks great in white. The neck profile was my biggest concern and if you say it's narrower than my BBeast then that's great news and I'll probably go see my Yamaha dealer tomorrow.