1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anyone got any sweet revenge tales?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by powderfinger, May 16, 2011.

1. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    My 1st bar gig ever... mid 90s. I am a newbie from the word go (I had not yet become a vocalist.. just a bassist). After the show I changed clothes and threw on a hat. I ended up striking up a conversation with a lead singer in another band (lean, strapping guy... great hair), who probably was 10 years older than me. He apparently didnt recognize me from onstage, because he said, "those guys that just got done playing were pretty good... well, other than the sh*t bass player". I looked at him, and said, "sorry.. it's my first gig... maybe Ill be better next time". He tried to aplogize but I was so pissed I just walked off and told him "F you" under my breath.

Fast forward about 15 years. My new band (in which I sang lead) is playing a pretty swank bar, making some decent bank. We played so great that night. My playing was at its A game for sure. We had girls dancing. Fun night. After the set, I notice a familiar face sitting at the bar alone. It's an overweight, balding guy sitting up at the bar smoking cigarattes and drinking a pitcher of beer... alone...

I go up to him (and I am drunk and ready to pick a fight with this guy), and say, "so, how did you enjoy the show". He was like, "oh... it was ok.. I wasnt really paying attention". "That's a shame", I told him. "Hey man", I asked, "you used to play in (insert band name here) didn't you". He was like, "yeah". I said, "my bad... I hardly recognized you .. youve really let yourself go". He was like, "who the f*** are you". I was like, "man... you dont remember me"... He goes, "no". I said, "well damn old timer... Im the kid who used to suck so bad on bass... remember me". He was like, "oh ****".. I said "yeah, and i just came over here to pick a fight with you, but i actually feel sorry for you now... ".

When the 2nd set started, I took a pause between songs, and introduced the guy at the bar as an old local celebrity on the music scene. And orderd him a pitcher on the band tab. No one really knew I was being mean to this guy though.

But ill say this. That guy actually REALLY REALLY REALLY hurt my feelings for a LONG time, because it was my 1st gig that he said that to me. I always thought that after he said that, that maybe others felt the same way. He really mentally messed me up for a while. So I got him back :)

2. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller

Dec 10, 2009
    LAnsing MI
    No judgment here yet hopefully one day you can say a prayer for people that hurt you.

3. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    ... and if you can't say a prayer, just tell yourself that they're being mean because they have a really small ****, forget about it and walk away ;)

whatever works ...

4. impressive

5. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    cool story bro.

[​IMG]

6. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Jul 22, 2009
    Many years ago I read some wisdom on the back of an England's Glory matchbox and have never forgotten it - "you wouldn't worry so much what people think of you if you only realized how seldom they do". That fella, I bet, never gave you a moments thought in all those years.

7. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Humility, grasshopper...

8. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I had a guitarist who put a paperclip inside my ashdown mag head, and it happened to cause a short and fry the whole amp. When I went back over there to get my cab I brought a few long self drilling screws and a cordless drill and made sure his marshall 4x12 was stuck to the floor.

9. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Exactly.

10. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    Guys I posted this story, trying to halfway be funny....

I was more interested in hearing YOUR stories too.

Anyhow, no, the guy probably did not care. And since this incident (which itself was almost 8 years ago), I have rarely even so much as been in an argument with someone.

I practice yoga with my aunt, who teaches at her own studio. We meditate like the Beatles and the old Indian guy all the time. I am a at peace guys, please dont worry for my soul :)

11. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Apr 28, 2010
    O'Fallon, IL
    Since he apparently didn't realize that you were in the band during your first gig, let alone the bass player, what he said was his honest opinion, and it wasn't intended to hurt anyone.

We all sucked at our first gig. Most of us already knew that by the end of the first set. Having another musician inadvertently confirm it should not have bothered you for eight minutes, never mind eight years.

12. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    Actually the gig was 8 years ago I encountered him. The gig itself was 15 years prior to that. Almost.

Anyhow, I was drunk, and generally being a jerk.

Sorry for the way I acted in 2003.

13. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    Ok for GODSAKE the story is STUPID. I didnt think it was going to be psycho-analyzed!

14. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    LOL well DONE, sir!

15. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    see....... it's not really how you acted "in 2003".... it's that you seemed pretty proud of it when you posted your Awesome Tale Of Salty Revenge.

16. I was fired from one of my origional band because I was unwilling to go on tour (granted, the band was only arround for less than a year. We had not even made a name for ourselves in this small state yet). I accepted the termination with a smile and wished them luck... the band spent the next 4 years looking for a steady bass player (they went through 4 before getting a permenent), finally released an album after 8 years, then broke up less than a year after the album release. They NEVER went on that tour either.

That kinda made me smile.

17. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    I thought it was a funny story.

You guys had to have been able to picture this guy in 1993 or so with flowing blonde hair (like a surfer), lean and ripped, looking like a cross between Thor and Vince Neal.

And then to see him looking like a bald Hank Hill at the bar that night.

Dunno, maybe the sweet revenge was how badly he aged.

And of course I acted stupidly in 2003. Duh.

You guys just enjoy yourselves, have a chuckle. Dont be so over analytical. Its all good.

18. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    welcome to the wonderful world of the internet. i don't know you and you don't know me. so the only thing people have to go off is the words you type.

and you told a story about playing your first show, making mistakes like EVERYbody does at their first show, being inadvertently insulted by somebody (that you seem to have mixed feelings about. you don't like him but you sure talk about what a pretty haired Adonis he used to be) that tried to apologise as soon as they realized their mistake, holding a grudge for almost a decade, then wanting to start an unprovoked fight with somebody that'd had a rough time in the intervening years. finally insulting him and trying to demean him. THEN being happy about it whilst (i LOVE the word whilst) sharing it. i'd actually be worried about myself if something so minor stuck with me so long.

no analyzing homie. that's just the first impression i got from reading the OP. but, again, maybe you're a delightful, entertaining and kind human being.

cheers.

19. Sardine

Sardine

Feb 2, 2009
    Maine
    Dude, it's the internet. Opinions are like kittens, everyone's giving them away because they ain't worth jack ****. Just take a deep breath and remember that no matter what you say or do, someone is going to tell you you're wrong, so just accept that fact and move on with your life as best you can.

20. I was playing a house party and got pushed in the pool. When I latched on to the guy and threw him in with me, he got all pissed off and was trying to start a fight. He got a lucky shot in before some people broke it up. Revenge resulted in super soakers and urine. I like raising the bar...