1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone got any Tech 21 XXL clips ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Colonel_Claypoo, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
  2. mine came in the mail today - clips this weekend!

3. Colonel_Claypoo

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
  4. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
  5. Colonel_Claypoo

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    thanks, sounds great!

i wonder much much low end this pedal sucks up.

burgermeister used a barge blender to compensate low end loss but i don't have one.

any comments?

6. the XXL can suck lows incredibly, but IMO its really not hard to get a tone you'd like out of it and still keep the lows, the TONE and WARP controls are essential to finding the tones you might use - if you get the manual with the pedal, then please read it, coz the tone and warp dont neccesarily work how you'd expect. I kept the tone down and i never had a problem, but then again i never spent too long with the pedal.

Think of it a little like a Big muff - you can make it loose lows, but you can make it boom if you want.

I got mine and although it never beat my green stache off my board, that was probably because i thought I could get overdrive out of it......i cant. the XXL has so many tones in it, that id probably struggle to stick to just one (although i am a Set-and-forget sorta guy). If you're looking for a fuzz/distortion, and you can get one of these relativly easily, then id say go for it, and screw around with it till you've found a tone you like.

7. Colonel_Claypoo

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    so are you saying that if you knew the warp and tone controls well and how they interacted, you could maintain enough low end?

8. I'm not even so sure it loses lows as much as it boosts mids and highs at certain settings. The tone controls are powerful, and I don't know why everybody expects a bass effect to ONLY have "boosted lows" at every setting.

9. thats a good point, RC.

to the Colonel: If you spend time experimenting with the pedal i think you'll be rewarded. But as with all pedals: what sounds amazing on its own, may not sound quite right in a band mix, so its important to know what the controls do at different settings, and how they interact.

according to the manual: TONE on max is actually Flat (i think), and then as you bring it past noon, it cuts highs and boosts lows. and the WARP is just weird, but is the key to success.

Imagine it like a VTbass of distortion, and Warp is the Character control

10. mako

mako

Apr 4, 2007
    istanbul
    if you want both low ends and screaming distortion just switch to dual output and seperate your pickups like billy sheehan does. i use mxr blowtorch it only gives distortion to your mids and your lows keeps happening. i guess there is a crossover or something in that pedal

11. I completely agree that thats a good way to maintain lowend, but my point was that you wouldnt really need to with the XXL if you know how use properly.

The blowtorch has 2 outputs (one clean and one effected) AND a blend control. The XXL has neither of these features. And yeah the Blowtourch does just effect mids, and its awesome at it :)

separating pickups involves hacking up your bass to have individual outputs (not that im against that), or using a crossover to split your signal into low/high or using a blend pedal with the distortion. or just using a pedal with two outputs to go to two amps and just put distortion on one of them.

all of which cost a lot more/are a lot more hassle than just reading the manual.

12. Keep in mind that what I said about low applies to my experience with the BASS EDITION. I would expect the original and the guitar edition to suck at least a bit low lows.

13. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I have a theory that the original version and the Bass Edition are exactly the same circuit. The user manuals are the same, the action of the Tone controls are the same and they sound identical to me. I haven't tried the new, Guitar Edition but the Bass Edition and original are the best sounding bass distortion pedals I have ever used.......especially when run into a SansAmp Bass Driver DI.