1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone got the Tech 21 Red Ripper pedal yet?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andrew, May 12, 2010.

1. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Or seen it in a store?

2. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I was wondering this yesterday...some music websites have a note that it's release is delayed till June. I can't wait to stage a battle between the red ripper, Prunes and Custard and Source Audio Multiwave.

3. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Not released yet..

Still no decent demos of it online yet either.

4. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Thanks. The current issue of Bass Player listed it as "available now". Guess that was premature.

5. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    FWIW I just preordered mine from Guitar Center online and used the coupon code

save10p

It came up with a message stating that if the discount did not apply itself to the item (which it did not) to call the 1-800 number. I called the number and they gave it to me for 10% off. It came down to $170.10. Should be shipping on June 4th from what they say.

6. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    I work for a Tech 21 dealer and we have an ETA of 6/25.

7. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    So has anyone gotten their Red Ripper yet? I havn't seen one at any stores around me yet. Did it actually come out in June as expected?

8. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    As of last week Guitar Center still had them on backorder. I cancelled my order and got a Source Audio Multiwave Bass Distortion as recommended by a few TB'ers and I'm glad I did. I absolutely love the Multiwave pedal.

9. I also canceled my order on it. I'm still very intrigued though...

10. Gilian24

Gilian24

May 23, 2010
    Anyone? I'm curious about the sound

11. I love my VT and am interested in this ripper as well. I should admit that the looks alone have piqued my curiosity. :smug:

12. Update - checking out the youtube vids for the ripper left me less than impressed. I like the "dynamic" aspect of the distortion, but nothing stood out as being a particularly attractive sound to me.

13. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    I tried out the Red Ripper in my local music shop today. They only got it today and they asked if I wanted to try it. How could i say no! Anyway, I'd seen the Youtube clips before so wasn't particularly excited. All I can say is WOW! It's not really like any other pedal I've tried. You can get a normal sort of fuzz out of it in some settings (there are sample settings in the instructions) which, to my ears, sounded better than my current fuzz, the Bass Big Muff. But it really comes alive in the weirder, synthier settings. Want the intro to 'Time Is Running Out'? You got it! Jamiroquai? No problem. It's not the cheapest pedal but it really bowled me over and is now top of my wish list. It will be mine. Oh yes, it WILL be mine! :p

14. They are in stock in the UK. Ordered one today, should have it by wednesday. I don't intend on using any fuzz in a live situation and only want it for fun at home. I have to admit to picking the ripper over other fuzz pedals because it looks so cool, that and its Tech 21 and I've ben impressed with other pedals by them that I've used.

15. Any more updates on this pedal? Or better yet, sound clips? I'm pretty interested in getting on but I need to hear it properly first.

16. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    I would especially love to hear how this thing compares to the Crowther Prunes and Custard, since they seem to be somewhat similar.

17. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Although I didn't get a chance to play it, Truetone Music had them in stock when I was last there.

18. I have one. Can't make my mind up if I like it or not, its a bit strange. Using it just as a distortion pedal I'd say it does'nt achieve anything many much cheaper pedals can do, and its quite noisey. The main thing is the R.I.P control which adds a strange fuzz/synth combo as its increased but again I feel you'd get far superior results with a distortion pedal and envelope filter.
    The feature that claims the pedal reacts to your touch and the nuances of your playing basically means - hit the strings hard or it sounds like crap!!
    Its fun to play around with but I'm finding it hard to suggest that people rush out and try one asap.
    I said in a previous thread that I'd try and get some clips up, I'm having trouble with my recording gear but I'll see what I can do!

19. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    I got to test drive one. Very cool sounding pedal when played through a loud amp. I found it a bit weak sounding when played through quietly.

If I played in a stoner rock band I'd buy this pedal and never turn it off. As is I didn't find it tonally right for what I was looking for.

20. edumamare

edumamare

Jul 14, 2010
    DF - Brazil