1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone? Guild SB 608 Flying Star (Pics added)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by torgeot, Aug 14, 2007.

1. torgeot

torgeot

Apr 9, 2007
    Anyone else have or have played one of the few Guild SB 608 basses? There were only 116 made and I have one I got new in '85, great sounding bass. I did have the pups replaced with EMGs in LA a long time ago. I'm thinking of selling this just because it's so freaking big, and the OHSC is a monster as well. I don't record enough to keep this, and I play small clubs, small stages, I'd kill everyone on stage with it. Just wondering if anyone else out there has one...

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You gotta show us pics! Please!

3. torgeot

torgeot

Apr 9, 2007
    OH I knew that was gonna come up... I'm at work... I'll get s shot of it up here later. Kinda cross V / Explorer look to it but really sharp edges, Then I custom painted it silver/blue/red tips..... The case is really about the size of 1.5 cases in width.

4. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    Oh, I remember those. I think Bon Jovi's bassist was using one for awhile. I just remember them being something that you might kill someone with- as you said, very big and very sharp.

5. torgeot

torgeot

Apr 9, 2007
    Here she is, last pic is the case, obviously is the case in the back, I put it up behind an Ibanez guitar case

100_4403.

100_4402.

100_4401.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    YES!!! That is awesome! ...and you could rent the case out to house a small family.

I would love to show up with that thing to an audition for a straight-ahead jazz band, just to see their faces.

7. IMOCTOMAN

IMOCTOMAN

Dec 21, 2008
    HELLO, I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THIS BASS. I BOUGHT ONE IN 1985 AT MANNY'S MUSIC IN NEW YORK BUT MINE CAME WITH A KAHLER TREMOLO BRIDGE. THE PEOPLE AT MANNY'S TOLD ME IT CAME FROM THE FACTORY THAT WAY. I HAVE TAKEN IT TO A LOT OF MUSIC STORES TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT IT BUT NOBODY SEEMS TO KNOW MUCH ABOUT THEM BUT THEY WOULD BUY IT FROM ME. MINE IS IN MINT CONDITION AND DOES NOT HAVE ANY OF THE CHIPS ON THE CORNERS LIKE MOST POINTED GUITARS. DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE BASSES? I ALSO HAVE A BURNSIDE BY GUILD BASS.

8. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Love the red tips on the points...I can almost picture CCDeVille getting too close to Bobby Dahl onstage...OUCH!

They only made 116 of those? Cripes, I remember seeing a brand-new one in a small, local mom 'n pop music store back in the mid 80's.

Guild introduced that bass at the same time as the Pilot, right?

9. torgeot

torgeot

Apr 9, 2007
    Yes, same time as the pilot, matter of fact this particular one had a Pilot neck, I believe. I guess there wasn't enough interest to keep producing these.