1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone had any experience with Ibanez Soundgears basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Mar 16, 2009.

1. I've toyed with the idea of getting one of these for a while. Anyone got one? What are they like? Any problems with them? Things you love?

2. I've owned a few Soundgears. It really depends on what model your interested in. Soooo many models and their quality varies WIDELY. They are known for super narrow string spacing . So if that your thing. I like things fairly narrow and these are even close than I like. Good fretwork..no sharp edges/ uneven frets. I've been pleased with their build quality. Ibanez pickups are pretty bland to me. Tonally I've realize they are very mono tone. What you hear is what you get. So a pickup/preamp swap may be in store. You can get them very fairly priced on the used market.

3. I need a fairly narrow neck (RSI problems stop me from playing wide necks)...

4. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

May 11, 2008
    I had a 405. It was a good bass, fast neck, good workmanship. I could just never get a tone that I liked out of it which is why I sold it.

5. Myamaru

Myamaru

Sep 14, 2008
    Kimberly, WI
    I have an Ibanez SR-500 and I absolutely love it. For a relatively cheap bass ($400), it is beautiful. The neck and string spacings are narrow, which is a positive for me. It's also very light compared to many basses that I have played. Mine has a rich, full tone, but I have also heard about varying qualities between different Ibanez basses, maybe I lucked out.
    I also feel that it is important to note that my bass instructor bought an SR-500 of his own after GAS'ing for mine.

6. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I had a 1991 or 1992 SR800 that I bought new. This was before the SR800 had separate mid controls. I had that bass for 10 years and threw it in on a trade for a Warwick. In retrospect I wish I would have hung on to it. It was a nice bass with a lot of tonal options.

7. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I am very happy with my SR505 and so is the band :). Another option would be a Peavey....

8. I have a SR 400 (four string) and like it a lot. I suspect this is a case of try before you buy, as I tried another SR 400 after I bought the one I still have, and it iddn't sound anywhere near as nice as the one I have. As said above, narrow, thin neck (I have fairly small hands which means I have problems with wider necks) and fairly light weight. I've tried some of the 5-stringers and they 'felt' and sounded nice, too. (It helps that I bought the one I own from a local shop, and my bass instructor is the guy who goes through and makes sure the set-up on all the instruments is correct...) I've seen the 5-stringers new at $350 - $400; used for $200 (US) or so.

9. Only problem now is finding a LH bass...

10. GDarwin

GDarwin

Mar 8, 2009
    Newcastle
    But your other bass is right-handed? Sometimes I think you make your own problems, because you wouldn't know what to do without drama in your life.

11. 2minkey

2minkey

Apr 23, 2006
    seattle
    i've had an sr800 and have an sr886. very solid/consistent japanese quality. not sure about korean and chinese soundgears, which i think many of the new ones are.

12. Ibanez sr505 owner (in the past)
    Very comfy, but sound good only in solo, lost in mix. Reason: Bartolini MK1 preamp.

Sold for Stringray. Miss Ibby (it has superior neck to the Ray, imho).

13. No, I'm a left-handed bassist, partially because I AM left-handed and partially because I have close to NO chance of finding a LH Shergold.

I think this could be said for pretty much any instrument, not just bass. I'm just hoping and praying that one of the local places round here does the Ibanez SGs...

14. nodisco

nodisco

Dec 9, 2007
    Estonia
    I own SR505.
    + Slim & comfortable neck, nice sound (when strings are right), tonal variety.
    - Electronics could be better.

15. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    LH and barf-resistant.

:bag:

16. I got meself an SR300
    Very nice finish, buld, electronics and tone
    Very difficult to get my strings set up right, i've managed to get all but the E to a reasonable level without any buzzing.

17. JQ1986

JQ1986

Oct 30, 2008
    Rice Lake, WI
    I bought a SR-305. I love how thin the body and neck are since I have shoulder issues, and the thin neck works great since I have smaller hands. The negative side is that I can get the sounds I want BUT it sounds very weak. My GSR200 sounds louder. Another gripe I've had with mine might just be with my bass but, the saddles for the B and E strings don't stay in position for very long. Some nail polish on the screws did the trick, but I've had to add another coat a couple times.

18. I'm just purchased my 6th one - a SR405QM ... also own a SR400QM ... never had problems with any :cool:

Fast slim narrow necks - thunderous lows & nice clean highs via active 3 band EQ with "stylesweep" mid control
    34" scale & low in weight - excellent quality

19. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I owned an SR890 back in the 90's, and was actually my first bass (and only the second) I have ever bought new. Played great, sounded okay, but always left something to desire... Ended up going back to a '71 Fender Jazz, and missed the SR's comfort and playability almost immediately.

20. dlegault

dlegault

Nov 11, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I have four soundgears, two fretless SR400's, a fretted SR400, and a fretted SR800. All of them are early 90's models (SR400's from Korea, 800 from Japan), and they were all in great shape when I got them. I can't speak for factory setup, though, as I've bought all of them used over the past 15 years. I have played a few newer models in various shops I've been in, and it does seem that a lot of the lower end models aren't quite as high quality as their equivalents would have been in the past. Cheaper woods, cheaper electronics, and build quality overall seemed to be more hit or miss. I did play a new SR500, with a mahogany body, and it was beautiful.

Stock electronics can leave you wanting a little, they're mainly one trick ponies, and I've replaced the pickups (SR400s), and the pickups / pre (SR800) in all of them over time as well to give me more of what I'm looking for.

The necks are wonderful, fast, slim, easy to play, and is probably their most redeeming quality.

The fretless gets play time in both of my bands, and the SR800 is my primary bass for one of them as well (the other band gets my p bass), and I'd highly recommend them.