Anyone had any experience with...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassfacekevin, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Hey, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with "Subway Music" shop, and "Fat Dawg." They seem like a fairly reputable place, but I can't find any reviews on them really, and I am considering buying a Custom Bass from them, but they are Check payment only, and located in california (I'm a michigander) So I have no real insurance that my money isn't stolen from me. Thanks

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Don't do it. I went through a nightmare scenario with Fat Dawg a few years back and have made it my mission in life to see that no one gets ripped off by that ADD-riddled, slackass junk dealer again. He suckers people in with a website that makes it look like he has deals and vintage stuff out the wazzoo, but if you ever go down to his shop, you will find a dirty, grimy, pile of garbage that will make you want to hurl. Subway is where musical equipment goes to die. Look at most of the guitar reviews on Harmony Central and you will find that most people are really put off by his poor attitude, disrespect for customers, and unwillingness to admit that his building skills are ten steps below a Wishbass. He preys upon people outside of California. I live in the Bay Area and he has a terrible reputation that is beyond redemption. There are other people in this world that can do you much better for your money.
  3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've never dealt with them, nor do I know anyone personally who has. However, I've heard terrible things about them that have me convinced never to go through them. Sorry if this is rumor-mongering (it very well may be, given my lack of direct experience), but based on what I've heard, I know I can do better. There are too many reputable people to go through to take a risk like Fat Dawg seems to be.
  4. I too have no direct experience but I've heard bad things about them.

Years ago, Bass Player magazine did an article on Subway Guitars and made it sound like a cool place. This was in the days before the internet though.
  5. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I've been to the shop and Folmeister pretty much nailed it.
  6. i never even heard of them before this thread but you got three people right here telling your there not too good

so judging by post so far. i wouldnt go with them.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Didn't Fat Dawg build Billie Joe of Green Day's strat copy with the humbucking pickup?