Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone Had problems with thier Warwick active bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by minkis, Dec 18, 2000.

1. minkis

minkis

Sep 8, 2000
    Lately, I have been having a problem with my Warwick not working when I plug in. I know it's not the battery because i have put a new battery in it. when i called my dealer, they told me that it was just they way that active basses are, like they need to reboot like a computer. Has anyone else had this problem with their warwick or any other active bass??

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, Minkis. Thanks for filling in your profile!:D

Rebooted, huh? Man, those dudes at the big chain music stores will make up anything.

I have an old, cheap Electra Westone with active electronics and a new Pedulla as well, and I have never had to reboot either of them.

Can you describe the problem a little more?

Does it ever start working?

Do you have to wiggle the cord around in the jack?

Does turning the pots make it better or worse?

Have you checked the wires from the battery and made sure they are not coming loose at the other end?

3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    The guy at the store flat out lied to you. Re-boot indeed. :mad:
    Most likely something in your bass has come unsoldered. Some of yer options are to fix it yerself, contact the store and call bulls*h**t and make 'em fix it or contact the distributor and raise holy hell. If you want to learn to tech yer own instruments the first option is the best and least stressful. In any case I'd take my bizness elsewhere. BTW I've had a Warwick for about ten years and never had any problems with it.

4. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    minkis, make sure you download the bug Y2K patch from Warwick's site!!!

just kidding ;-) (yeah you caught me, I don't know how to insert those smiley icons)

anyway, I only had my Warwick for three weeks but my former bass was active too, and let me tell you it never had to be rebooted. however a battery leakeage once occured and the battery connector needed a fine sanding with a dremel type motor tool to remove the battery slime from it and make it work again. I ended changeing the connector and soldering a new one instead and it solved the problem, it might be the same case with your bass but I'm affraid Warwick battery connectors have special plugs soldered to the battery connector so you better call your Warwick dealer and ask them for a replacement.

btw, is the bass playing smoothly when you bypass the active EQ?

5. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I believe the problem is with output jack. Your bass has a barrel jack in it. What happens with almost every barrel jack through time is that it loosens its grip on your instrument cord. The jack is tubular and holds the cords 1/4 inch plugs by a couple of pins. The constant removal of the cord will wear on the pins and suddenly the cord is not making good contact with the pins. The pins are what the leads of the pickups and EQ are soldered to and thus the connection to the cord. I've had to replace more barrel jacks than I can count. The solution is to get a regular output jack, route out the bass's output hole so you can fit the regular jack in and then get one of those football shaped jack holders and mount the jack that way.

6. minkis

minkis

Sep 8, 2000
    Thanks for the comments guys. Embellisher, to answer your question, yes it does eventually start to work after i tinker with the battery and the wires connected to it. one time on accident i left the bass plugged in when i was messing with it and noticed that when the wires that are connected to the battery are moved certain ways it would either make a pop sound or start to work. from the first day of the problem i have always thought it was those wires. in comment to another reply, i dont think it is the jack because i havent had the bass too long and i havent been plugging and unplugging it a lot. the problem i have is that there are only two music stores in my town and only one is liscensed to work and carry warwicks. and i guess they are giving me a bunch of BS and they wont fix it or send it back to get it fixed. if i were to take it to the other store which is ten times better( Woodwind + Brasswind) it would void the warrenty.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Call the distributor and tell them of the problem that you've been having, and what that music store told you about rebooting! That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!

How long have you had this instrument? How long is the warranty?

And, if none of that works, call the Better Business Bureau and ask if they can help you with any remedies. They probably can't, but filing a claim with them and hiring an attorney may have to take place. No consumer should ever be that blatantly lied to! You ARE entitled to some form of remedy.

I feel bad that you got such ridiculous treatment! :(

Of course, another thing you could do, if you really wanted to get back at 'em, is post the name of the store on this website in some threads, and let us bash away :D (Though I'm not sure that this method is the most appropriate use of this website...)

8. The Corvette Fretless 5 I had developed the same problem (tho it was not active). My dealer told me it was a problem with warwicks, that it was just a cheap jack. He replaced it free, and said he sends the old ones back to his dealer rep.

9. I also had a problem with the jack on my Warwick. I took it to my luthier and he said it was a cheap jack and replaced it with a good one.

10. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    minkis, follow RAM's advice.
    the warwick site has the e-mail of dana b. goods, the US distributer of Warwick, send them an e-mail, tell them about the problem and about the stupid store guys and let them do the rest.

if all fails, contact Warwick germany. I live outside the US and when I e-mailed warwick directly I got reply from Hans Peter himself, the owner and founder and also from two other senior Warwick employees.

from your profile I see you got the Thumb 5 BO, thats a great bass that should last through one's lifetime and beyond, and warwick supplies a 1 year warranty so if yours has not yet expired the store is obligated in law to fix every malufunction in the bass that wasn't inflected by you.

11. I too had the same problem with a Thumb after about 5 years of heavy use.
    Although it worked most of the time, whenever the jack lead touched my leg, my sound cut out.
    Got over the problem for a while by using a L shaped jack. Had the socket replaced by my local dealer before I sold it.
    Also have the same problem now with a Gibson Tbird which has the same type socket.

12. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    I have the same problem with my Warwick Corvette FNA JazzMan 5. It works fine, but if I touch or twist my jack plug sometimes the sound cuts out. I ask my dealer if he can replace my jack socket.

You would expect Warwick to use better sockets...

13. so am i do believe that the new warwicks come with CTRL-ALT-Delete keys? i can't believe they told you that minkis, what a load of crap

14. Count me in too. Got a 10 year old Streamer 5 string, same problem.

The output jack isn't my only gripe though... Warwick should ditch the adjustable nut thingy. After 10 years the brass screws are totally worn out and need replacement. Some day I'll have a regular non-adjustable nut mounted onto it.

Bert

15. Some stores will tell you the sky is green if they haven't got the faintest idea what you're asking about or are unwilling to help. Applies to all kind of stores BTW.

Bert

16. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    actually, I'm glad to inform you they droped the just a-nut and made a new nut which has allen scrwes between the strings and not in the nut grooves.
    also it's not brass but rather a plastic and graphite affair.
    the brass ones should sound even better when you play open strings since the frets are brass too so its like a zero fret.