1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone Had to Adjust Their Technique For New Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jaywa, Mar 29, 2013.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I have a 1978 P-Bass converted to a PJ, which I have been playing since 1981. I just took out my 10-year old set of EMG active PUs and replaced them with Nordstrand passives. So far I am LOVING the tone but it's making me relearn how to play somewhat. Specifically:

- It seems like the Nordys invite playing with a somewhat heavier touch. With the EMGs I barely brushed the strings but now it seems like I'm digging in a little more. Like I said the sounds that come out are amazing but it's been a bit of an adjustment getting more "physical" with my bass again.

- There is less sustain with the Nordys. In most situations this will be fixed with compression but without the benefit of compression, it is noticeable.

- The quieter G string and legendary 5th fret "dead spot" (i.e., C note on the G string) seem to be more pronounced. This is making me take a little different approach as far as positions for those notes.

Has anyone else experienced things like this or am I just weird?

2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I've had different pickups INSPIRE me to play differently because of their tone, but I'm not sure that's the same thing you mean here.

You may want to play around with the height of the new pickups a bit. It sounds like you still need to find the balance between the old and new.

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Good suggestion re the pickup height, thank you.

The guy who installed them set them at the same height of my EMGs which had been extremely close to the strings. I suppose it's possible that's actually too high for the Nordys and I may need to crank them down a bit and give the strings a little more space.