1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone handy with wood construction projects?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Sep 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    I am making a stage riser for the local club gig my band has coming up soon. We've noticed a few bands coming into town who have some additional stuff they liven up the stage with and it has a great effect so I wanted to make two but the costs were double what I thought they would be so I can only make one and only because I had a 1x12x4 laying around for the last two years doing nothing so rather then need four I got away worth three.

I have a 2x4x ten foot board I am going to use to make some sort of skeleton inside the box to bolster it's structural integrity. Any suggestions on how to arrange some pieces inside. I know closing the ends would help greatly but I don't know if it's in my budget money or time wise. Photo shows the project so far. I have drilled and screwed it to get as such and placed them together as they will be when finished out. Photo is of the inside. The other side will be the platform to stand on. The Club's Drum riser just does not have any room on it. Stage riser.jpg

2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    What are you going to put on the riser? If anything heavier than a couple of guitar amps, 2x4 "joists" are not going to cut it. Same for plywood. Need more substantial material for it to have some structural integrity if someone were to stand on it. Other than that, cool idea!

3. You are going about this a little backward compared to how I would do it.

I would construct a sturdy frame first, (properly engineered, you could use 2X4 lumber) and then use your boards to make the top platform. You don't really need to use those boards for the front and back. Without some structure they don't make a very sturdy frame anyway. Just staple some black "scrim" cloth around the perimeter to finish it. Your 10 footer is not enough to make a sturdy platform frame, but 2X4 lumber is not very costly.

4. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    SO you are saying I just need more 2x4 then? I also a going to partially close the ends with a smaller dim board

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021