Anyone have 10 G's to drop?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Martin, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD

If the price alone doesn't scare you, the weight will! 110 lbs. My god. That is one serious bass amp.

Those are some seriously huge tubes too. (Notice they are comparing it to mesa tubes, but they turned it just enough so you can't read it :p)

Oh right, anyone tried one of these bad boys before??? I would so love to play one of these. 650 Watts of tubey goodness.
  2. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, Phil Jones makes some pricey stuff. I've got one of his briefcase amps coming today which should be interesting. I could never justify dropping $10k on an amp unless I were filthy rich.

The question is, does it sound 10 times better than a $1k amp like an Eden or Mesa? I doubt it.
  3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'll bet TOMBOULUS has one of these hidden away in the warehouse! When are you gonna bring it by LDS for some serious cabinet testing?
  4. lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    that guy has got some serious TETRODES!!!
  5. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    I'd like to hear it too, Joe, but 650 watts? It's listed as 650 watts maximum. I wonder how that relates to RMS? For 10 large, that's a number we should be told somewhere.
  6. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    "Maximum Power Output: 650 watts RMS."

Not worth 10K to me but definitely badass, nonetheless. :D
  7. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    Ya beat me to it, though that is somewhat confusing, putting RMS in Maximum power output.

I would have a hard time justifying the amount Aguilar charges for their amps... this is ridiculous :p
  8. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Thanks for the tip-in guys on the specs. It is an odd way to phrase it, especially when RMS is not the maximum wattage it's putting out.

It would be interesting to see exactly who is using them.
  9. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Who would ever use that much power?
  10. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    It seems like a lot of guys on this board use more power than that. For example, my WWU is 1200 watts, and I commonly see references to QSCs, Crests, and Crowns that are way over 650, especially bridged. I assume it's mostly a headroom thing, like it is for me, but also a lot of us play some pretty big (or outdoor) venues from time to time where you've got to fill up a big stage or go without PA support.
  11. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i worked on radar systems when i was in the Navy.

i have always wondered how a TWT or Klystron would sound as an amplifier. they are made amplify RF, but i imagine they could be converted to down to audio freqs.

of course the size of the amp and its associated support equipment would be travel prohibitive, but it would be interesting to push 2k Watts - 30k watts out of an amp. hmmm...better have some good speakers on order while i am thinking about it.
  12. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I like the slogan, "Probably the most powerful tube bass amp of all time"

I like how they'd just perfer using probably and go on assumption rather than actually back it up....thats 100% awesome
  13. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    But that's 1200 watt SS. This is 650 TUBE.

I mean, most people with 300watt tube amps will never turn up more than half, even at outdoor gigs with no PA.
  14. or alot of them . . . i mean, alot!
  15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I emailed a friend of mine who's rather an expert in ham Radio gear, amateur and commercial communications, and special propagation modes (Randy Clark - K9VHF):
    "Subject: Bass guitar...uh - 'Transmitter'!

Sheesh - Here's a Bass amp that uses transmitter tubes:

813 tetrodes - is that a very common one?

Four of'em develop up to 650W in the audio range.

..The amp's ten-grand!$$"

He said:
    "Not real common. It's an old tube.

I'm not sure why he is using that. May be inter-electrode plate capacitance or something he is keying on, because if it's shear power, I'd think there are better choices.

We can check the freq's of some of the BIG power tubes.
    Maybe most people won't deal with the 2500-4000 volt plate supply."

I'll be interested to see what he digs up.

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I've seen 1250 watt all tube power amps before, but those go for like $50k... Damn I would love to have a tube monster like that! Imagine how loud that would be :bassist:
  17. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  18. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    Yea, I'm sure it has come up before, I was just browsing the site and came across that was completely dumb-struck by it that I decided to post it here. :p