1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone have a bass that is worth less than what they would take for it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Jun 14, 2012.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    I guess, sentimental value really.

Have one that you really wouldn't sell or something?

My old 70's Jazz. Modded to hell and back. Routes under the pickguard from preamps long gone. Badass bridge- dunno where the original went or the original pick-ups either.
    3 bolt was replace by a 4 bolt neck plate, because 3 bolt necks from Fender suck. Period. They move. Had it FOREVER. Played at this point at least a thousand gigs on that thing.

For ME plays and sounds better than pretty much ANY bass I've ever owned. And I've own pretty much the best of the best.
    disclaimer: i say all that and NOT because it's an "old Jazz"- it could be a 2009 and if it did what this does, I'd say the same thing. The "old 70's Jazz Basses are sweet attitude is a load of crap IMO.
    They were crap in the 70's- quality sucked. And they're mostly still crap. Age doesn't make a bass magically better.

OK, back on topic, I'm not sure you could really give me enough to sell it.
    I've let Fodera's sit on stands all night at gigs, Smiths, and countless others because I've chosen the old hacked up dog of a bass.
    I call her "Betsy". Dunno why. Just do.

My PRS is quickly becoming my go to bass. (the second gen "Jazz" version- built in 2002).
    It has "it" IMO. Could very well let the old Jazz retire.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Mike, is that the bass you learned to play on? If so, nothing will ever sound better. The biggest regret of my gear life is that I let my first good bass, a Rickenbacker 4000, go. Right now, I find me really bonding with both of my basses, a TL-5 and a Spector Rebop. At this point, I have too many big fish to fry like a new house, to worry about GAS, so they aren't going anywhere!

3. I learned to play on a Squier Affinity P, and my next bass was a VM Jazz. During the 4 years i played only these two basses, i had a diehard "Fender-style" mindset, and never really turned an eye to other style basses; just didn't think they were for me.

Me and a buddy of mine were pawn-shop hopping a few days after christmas in '08, when we stumbled across a black OLP MM2 in pristine condition in a shop in Wilson. Black Pearloid guard, not a scratch on it, quick satin neck. It was priced @ $169. I left with it and a Bassballs (the one in the big black box) for $180 flat, though i won't tell you what i traded to get it.

Fast forward to today, i've stuffed an eBay 2-band pre in and played a couple hundred gigs with it. I developed more on that bass than i have any other, and i don't see myself ever getting rid of it. I wouldn't get anything for it if i did, and what i got for it wouldn't be anywhere near what it's worth to me.

When you sit down and play EBMM basses in Guitar Center with StingRay money in your pocket, and walk out without one 'cause your OLP sounds better, you know you have a good one.

...Now if i can just talk the guy that bought my VM jazz into sellin' it back to me :rolleyes:

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I have a Japanese BC Rich Eagle bolt on from the mid 80's.
    Probably couldn't get $200 for it if my life depended on it.
    DiMarzio P p/u, 24 fret slim speedy neck and its turquoise!!
    Love it, love it, love it.

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Pretty much all of the basses I play would sell for less than I would be willing to take. That's pretty much the definition of a "keeper". Some I'm more attached to emotionally and would never sell, others are just worth more to me than I could sell them for because the happen to play well and/or I bought them at a very low price.

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I had a bunch of parts laying around for years until my wife yelled at me to do something with all the parts I have laying around or get rid of them. All good parts, but not much I would use since almost everything I do is on five string. I just never use a four string other than my upright or ABG.

I threw together a no name jazz body, Warmoth maple neck, Hipshot Ultralites, Badass bridge and Fender CS 62 pickups.
    WOW!! Its magic! Sounds great, plays like butter with low action, balances perfectly, etc, etc. And worth NADA! How much would any of you guys pay for a fantastic Jazz bass, with great parts that is a no name parts bass? Probably not even the cost of the parts alone. So it sits in a case and never gets used. Worth much more than I'd ever get for it.

7. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I have an old Peavey Foundation S that's probably worth about 200 bucks. I bought it new and I wouldn't turn it loose for 5 times that.

8. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I have my first bass, a Klira German made (very well made btw) Hofner wanna be. I got it in '71 my folks bought it for my birthday. I still remember driving home with it in the back of my Dads Tbird being so excited and happy. It's not going anywhere. My main bass is a '68 Nonreverse Gibson Thunderbird I bought in '78.................................... I can't imagine my life without it.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    This.

10. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Pretty much all my basses I have mentally assigned unrealistic valuations. But I should probably sell some for whatever they bring, as I really don't play them that much, and when I do play them I'm reminded that there's a reason for that. Just not today.

11. Mehve

Mehve

Jun 2, 2012
    Kitchener, ON
    My Yamaha trb6ii bass. Back when I got it, I was originally looking at a trb6, but the model was (apparently) being replaced by the ii, so I guess this would make it well over a decade old at this point. Pretty sure I paid at least $1500 for it, but the series was selling new for $1k before it was dc'd. Coupled with a few body gouges from being dropped and a truss rod with ambitions of seeing daylight near the nut, it's pretty battle-hardened at this point. And while I'd consider selling it, I know there's no way I'd get near enough to justify it.

12. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    My 81 G&L L-1000. Bass is in great condition but has been modified. (Mike Lull added another G&L MDF to it basically making it a L-2000) I've had the bass since the early 90's. It's older than my kids. Other basses come and go but this one always stays around and is played a lot. No way it's going anywhere.

13. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    All of my basses. I own 6 Frankenbasses and I would have trouble selling any of them for the value of the parts, but they are all great basses that get a lot of compliments.

14. HuntYouDown

HuntYouDown

Jan 3, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    my mim jazz, i love the badass II, i could sell it without the badass, i guess, but why? I love that frickin bridge, pickups suck, but i can dial treble back and its cool, if i sold it i would have to get a vm jazz i guess to put badass ii on, but i like my mim, its kind of raw, just noisy on trbles, but i couldnt get much if i sold it, probably worth 500-600, but could only get 250 maybe cuz its 10 yrs old.

15. Sure, any of my parts basses. One is P bass I built, which I wouldn't sell for a grand. But if I did try to sell it I'd be lucky to get 600 for it. That's life.

16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    My 2003 MIA Jazz and 2007 G&L SB-2 are both worth more to me than I'd ever get from a sale. The Jazz is an amazingly good example of the breed, and has been my go-to bass since I bought it new in 2003. I've sometimes wondered why I bother to play anything else. When I do, it's most often the SB-2, which is just phenomenal, and difficult to replace exactly because G&L has changed the rear profile of the #8 neck.

17. Most everyone is gonna say their first bass.
    I know I sure am.

My dad gave me his 1967 Vantage he got when he was 12 around my 15th birthday cause I told him I was going to go start taking lessons from a guy.

Nothing on it has been changed 1986 hahaha.
    Still sounds like honey to me though. Played more than a handful of shows with it and get compliments every time. Even from a professional musician once.

I wouldn't sell it for anything in the world (even a Ric lol).

I also have a bass I built myself from a block of cedar about 3 years ago that I would never dream of selling. Plan on giving it to my kids one day when I have them and die.

18. My Epi bird, which is my third bass, and has a horribly warped neck and 3 or 4 extra holes from strap button experiments, and was played 4-8 hours a day for the last couple years.
    I don't think I could sell it. No one would want it.

19. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Most of my basses. My first bass was my first bass, after all. Never selling it. My current backup bass was my main player for a long time, and so I wouldn't part with it for what its' actually worth (which is probably about $400-600). My Rickenbacker, if I was starving, I would give to a trusted friend or family member for safekeeping just to make sure I couldn't sell it.

I guess my acoustic fretless, but then I'd just need another acoustic fretless bass, so selling it would be pointless.

20. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Yep. EB-2dc. Built in 1968 or 1969. Modified by somebody or another before I got it in 1983. It has a Dimarzio One pickup in the neck position instead of a mudbucker, and it has no mud button. The pickup is gouged up a little for who knows what reason. It was like that when I got it. It's worth a whole lot more now than it was when I got it, but you still can't pry it away from me. I would say I'll be buried with it, but that would be a waste of a perfectly good bass. With any luck, my son will take a little time from trumpet for bass playing. If it goes anywhere, it will go to him. I would rather starve than let go of it.