1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone have a Chicago gig for me to check out this weekend?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Jan 2, 2012.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey y'all. No idea which forum this should really go in, but anyway - I'll be in Chicago for a conference this weekend (1/5-8/2012) and want to get out to catch some decent music. Who's got a gig for me to go to? The conference is downtown, I'll be staying at my brother-in-law's house in the north suburbs. Ideas?

2. lankyloo

lankyloo

Jul 11, 2011
    No gig for me, but your profile says you're into jazz, and the best place in town for jazz is the Green Mill, in the city, on the 4800 block of North Broadway. Great music and awesome atmosphere.

3. I don't live in Chicago, but have been to some SMOKIN' HOT blues clubs there, best blues I ever heard live. The Green Mill (as mentioned above) is a lot of fun, but some other great options esp. if you like the blues are: Blues on Halsted, Buddy Guy Legends, or Kingston Mines. Another one to consider is Blue Chicago on Clark Street. Have fun!

4. lweastdad

lweastdad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2011
    +1 FOR Kingston Mines - go see Joanna Conner - she's there each weekend.

5. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    Andy's on Kinzie good afternoon stuff...jazz
    I think...call or check the site Green Mill has big band nite

6. hrodbert696

OK, that's good options for jazz and blues -- any possibilities for catching a good rock act? Covers or originals are all good, I just want to see what's out there.

7. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    Go see "caliente old Skool" on the 7th in Brookfield

8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    You can come out to Uncle Fattys near Depaul University and check out my cover band, 'Stache! play. Definitely a college bar with enough frat guys and dumb drunk women to make your head spin. However, it is fun to watch people fall down and bump into others in a drunk haze.

We do a decent mix of the 90's, modern dance music, modern rock, cheesy 80's, and some classic rock. Our website is embedded in my signature.

My name is Kevin, stop by and say hello!

NO COVER!

9. hrodbert696

I'm tempted - which night?

10. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    January 7th - Saturday. We possibly start 10pm to 10:45pm. Depends on how many people are in there and what the owner tells us. No cover! The neighboring bar is connected to Uncle Fattys and has a decent beer selection. You can freely go between the two of them.

11. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    I've been to Buddy Guy's Legends last November and had a really good time. I recommend it.

12. hrodbert696

Thanks everybody. Just got back. I'd hoped to get to the Green Mill Thursday night, but travel fatigue sent me to bed instead. Friday night I made it to Kingston Mines to see Joanna Connor and Saturday to Uncle Fatty's to see Gearhead17's show. Both excellent!

13. lweastdad

lweastdad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2011
    hrodbert - glad you enjoyed it!