1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone have a Crate BT220?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Just wondering if anyone on here has a Crate BT220 or had one before? If so, what do you think about? All comments or reviews are more than welcomed. Thanks.

2. Wafoleri

Wafoleri

Jan 15, 2008
    Greensburg, Pa
    I don't own it personally, but I played through one when my friends band opened for us. It is rather muddy, at least in my opinion, however he likes it a lot. It is loud, but I've never liked the sound of a single 1x15.

Their band plays metal, and he was telling me the distortion built in is not as good as in his GK but good enough. I don't have any experience as far as distortion goes for anything, so I couldn't make my own opinion on this. He was also quite a fan of the octave switch thing, which I didn't mess with at all.

Crate amps, as far as quality goes, can go either way. I have a 25 watt combo that I played for years, and is still running strong. However I bought a bt1000 and the speaker blew in about 4 months.

The bt220 and all of Crate's amps have dropped to pennies on Musician's Friend lately I am told, so if you are looking for something inexpensive and loud, it may be worth looking into.

I hope this was any help at all. I'm sure someone here owns it though and can give you a better evaluation.

3. I've seen some BT220's for as low as $199. Right now I use the Ampeg BA115 which sounds good in my opinion for the music I play. A lot of times I just play with acoustics so I don't need much volume. I'd keep the Ampeg if I would decide to try a Crate. One thing I like with the BT220 is that it's possible to add an ex cab, say a 2x10, and still run through the internal 1x15. The only other amp I seen that will do that is the Backline 210 by GK. I may be mistaken but there may be an Ashdown that's capable of that also. I want to stick with a combo but have the option to run an external cab with it. Thanks for the input Wafoleri.

4. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    I have the Crate BX220H head i use with an Ampeg 15" cab. I bought it on sale to use as a backup. But I find myself using it more than my Hartke 4000 head.

I like it pretty much fine!