1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone have a dean bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Mar 14, 2001.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I was messing around in a music store and pickup up a couple dean basses! The first one was a bolt on and felt very crappy! Very cheaply made but the other one was a neck through and lots of detail to it! It actually supprised me! Felt very solid! The setup sucked dog terd but i fixed that and it really impressed me! I dont know much about these basses does any one else? Were are they made? They had a tag price og 9 hundred somthing?

2. The 900-something one was probably an Improv, which is the top of the Dean Line. The Edge Custom (bolt-on), Select (neck-through), and Improv lines are made in the same Czech factory that builds CR-series Spectors and MTD Grendels and Beasts.

I have an Edge Custom 5 and it's a really good bass for the $500 I paid for it, not including tax and case. The B string is pretty much the best I've tried in the under-$1000 price range; it's kinda mushy above the 7th fret, but that's all right. The pickups are decent and have a VERY low noise floor, and the EMG-type preamp is fairly good; I've found that it records well. The hardware is nice although the tuners feel a bit "sloppy" (they hold tune very well, however). The fit and finish is excellent.

The bolt-on you tried was probably one of the Korean-made Edge basses; like any Cort/Samick/etc.-produced instrument, quality varies greatly from instrument to instrument. The Improv has active EMG pickups (as opposed to the passive EMG-HZs on the Edge, Custom, and Select), and it's a neck-through, so it should have a full, punchy sound.

3. I have a dean rhapsody 8 string. It was cool. Now, I'm bored with it.